The Joys of Toddler Exploration
Monday, August 20, 2007

Author: Catrina
Wine Selection: Rainier Ridge Merlot

I remember when Wyatt was very little and I'd be so paranoid and somewhat disgusted by the thought of all of the bacteria and germs lurking around my precious babe. I was always mindful of the things I let him touch, as they always went into the mouth. I would always be armed with hand sanitizer in the event that Wyatt would pull a fast one on me by grabbing something not first inspected by mom, but it's amazing how the toddler years can desensitize you!!

Warning: If you are a germaphobe, then there is a good possibility that you will begin to feel nauseous or break out in hives as a result of reading this post. You may want to discontinue reading past this point. :-)

So, yesterday we decided to take a little drive to Larch Mountain in the Columbia River Gorge. We thought we would hike a very easy and short trail so Wyatt could burn a little energy instead of being confined to the backpack. When "hiking" with a toddler, you really have to go into it with very low expectations since every 15 feet or so yields something spectacular for an almost 2 year old to explore. Low and behold, we were just a few feet away from the car when Wyatt found a large hiking stick. It was a little heavy for him, but as you can see from the photo, he was quite determined to carry it with him.

While we were standing around (NOT hiking :-)) waiting for him to decide that he could no longer bear the extra weight, Eric snapped a picture of Avery in her carrier. In case you have forgotten, I would just like to reiterate that our camera adds about 30 lbs...well, maybe 25 now! :-)


Once Wyatt finally decided to move onward, I made the mistake of pointing out a humongous slug on the side of the trail. Immediately, Wyatt was enthralled with the slimey creature. Of course, I told him not to touch it, but if you have a toddler you know that any time something is forbidden, it suddenly becomes that much more interesting. He had a great time touching the slug and then wiping slime on his daddy. Yuck!!


Miraculously, we distracted him from the "suug"--only long enough for him to literally turn around and find a huckleberry bush. Eric and Wyatt decided to pick a few (and eat a few). Of course, Wyatt uses the same hand to eat the huckleberries as he did to touch the slug. Sigh!



Eric then got the bright idea to pick enough huckleberries to make two pies, so needless to say, our "hike" turned into a stroll. That's alright though. Wyatt got to explore a lot of new things, and miraculously survived!!! It kind of reminded me of eating mud pies in my back yard when I was a toddler. Lord only knows what types of "things" we put in our mouths sometimes without realizing it!






2 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Slug flavored berries! I love it! I think a few germs every now and then are a good thing. :-)

August 20, 2007 at 6:39 PM 


Blogger Grandma had this to say:

Slug bug berries, there are worse things I'm sure. I guess if you can survive the mud pies (those could be lethal). You look good Catrina it appears your getting your body back. I only have one more thing to say "I have such beautiful grandchildren".
Love you guys

September 1, 2007 at 5:40 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771