Wet-N-Wild!
Friday, August 31, 2007

Author: Catrina
Wine Selection: Papio Merlot

Typically, when I mention to someone back home that we live in Portland, the first question they ask is, "Does it really rain as much as people say it does?". After living here for two years, I can confirm that it does in fact rain for several months STRAIGHT in the winter. But I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Pacific Northwest is the envy of most everyone during the summer months. Being able to enjoy the great outdoors with blue skies and mild temperatures (and zero humidity) is, I suspect, one of the major reasons why people love living in this part of the country. When we first moved here, I was shocked to learn that most people do not actually have air conditioning in their homes. My first thought was, "Wow...where I come from...that would be illegal!!". But it never actually gets hot enough during the summer for most folks to justify that extra expense. This summer alone, we've only had about 6 days where the temperature has been over 90 degrees.



This past week was one of those "hot ones", with temperatures reaching a scorching 89 degrees one day. Man, were the water parks hopping!!! That's where we (and most of Portland) just happened to be on Wednesday. Wyatt's little buddy Brayden invited him to play, and since Wyatt had never been to a water park, I thought it would be a fun morning activity. While Wyatt had a blast, I definitely learned that I need to bring some toys for him (or other kids) to play with because he kept taking off with other little kids' toys and buckets. At one point, he even got a little attached to a beautiful pink-haired mermaid that I think he really wanted to take home with him.
Can't you just see the disappointment in his face when I told him that his daddy would die of heart failure if he walked into the house with a mermaid barbie? He eventually found a nice orange truck to play with in which he knew his daddy would approve.



We all had such a fun time and are looking forward to going back again!! Hopefully we'll have a long summer because I don't think I'm quite ready for the gray skies to move back in for the fall...and winter...and spring. Uggh!

Really, it's not that bad. Everything stays green throughout the winter, and I LOVE living in a place where moss grows all over the rocks and trees. Oregon's beauty remains absolutely stunning all year long.

I love this picture because it looks like my soon-to-be two year old is totally ripped!!! He looks like he's getting ready to enter a "World's Strongest Baby" contest!!






1 Comments:
Blogger Grandma had this to say:

Yep, I'm afraid Wyatt got caught red handed. I definitely envy you guys, the scenery and the weather. But you know you miss it here. Don't you? : )

September 1, 2007 at 5:23 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771