Chateau Ste. Michelle
Monday, September 10, 2007

Author: Catrina
Wine Selection: Castle Rock Merlot

Ahhh....wine-tasting in the Pacific Northwest--one of my very favorite things! I had the great fortune of sharing this wonderful experience this past weekend with one of my very good friends from back home.

Michelle and I met in graduate school at OU when we were graduate teaching assistants and shared an office together. It didn't take long before we realized that our great minds thought very much alike! We've fortunately been able to maintain a very close friendship since the good old days in Norman, Oklahoma and I feel so lucky to have a friend who genuinely cares about me and my family. I swear, she did not pay me to write that!

This was actually Michelle's third trip to Portland to see us. I kept telling her that I was going to take her wine-tasting, so I finally came through on my promise this time around. What made this experience even more fun was that I was able to leave the kiddos at home with Eric so that we could enjoy some nice girl time, which I'm totally not used to doing! I must say, I can definitely get used to it!

This photo was taken at Maresh Red Barn Winery, where Michelle ended up stealing a grape right off the vine as we were leaving. What a rebel!

We ended up visiting 5 wineries in the Dundee Hills, which offered amazing views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson. We couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. The last winery we visited was White Rose Winery. It wasn't even on our list, but we stumbled (quite literally after visiting 4 other wineries--just kidding!) upon it and decided to give it a shot. It ended up being the best winery of the day! First of all, the outside of the tasting room looked like a very small wine cellar--very rustic and quaint. It was located on the very top of a hill, offering breathtaking views. Secondly, after the giving the gentleman a hard time for asking for our ID's, he told me in such a sweet voice that I had very young eyes! Really, this guy knows how to sell a bottle of wine. Well, it worked! I ended up buying a Pinot Noir for $38--the most I've ever paid for a bottle of wine. Here are Michelle and I at White Rose Winery. You can barely see Mt. Hood in the distance just to the left of Michelle.

I'm looking forward to sharing the expensive bottle of wine with my hubby on a romantic date night. Who am I kidding? It will be more like opening the bottle after the kiddos go to bed and struggling to keep our eyes open long enough to finish a glass together! Maybe I'll just save it for my blog nights--that might be more fun!

In the few days that Michelle was in Portland, we rode the streetcar through Downtown to a nice child-friendly coffee shop where we had some lunch (and lattes, of course) and watched Wyatt push a pretty pink doll stroller around the cafe.

We also made it to a few really neat restaurants, and as disciplined as she is, Michelle actually fit in time for a 10-mile training run along the Willamette River. She's preparing for her first marathon in Orlando in January. You go girl!

We had such a fun time. It's always nice to have visitors from back home when you live so far away. Wyatt ate up the attention, and I enjoyed some nice, relaxing conversations with a dear old friend...very old friend. Ha! Just kidding Michelle! I'm older than she is!

And I can't forget to take this opportunity to showcase the beautiful blanket she crocheted for a beautiful little girl named Avery. Thanks so much, Michelle. Avery already loves the blanket (and miraculously has not spit up on it yet)!








1 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

How FUN! Mom's totally need their girl time. I love my family and I love spending time with them, but I cherish my time with girlfriends as well! At the end of this month I'm going to JAPAN to visit Lisa (Clanton) Cash for her 30th birthday. I can't wait!

September 11, 2007 at 8:51 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771