He CAN smile for the camera!
Saturday, October 27, 2007

Author: Catrina
Wine Selection: Twin Fin Cabernet Sauvignon

I'm so excited to finally have Wyatt's 2-year pictures! After a couple of very frustrating trips to so-called children's photography studios, my hopes of obtaining just a single good picture of my super active toddler were quickly fading. Now, I know that photographing a 2-year old can be quite challenging, which is why I no longer photograph him myself. But seriously, if you want to get a good photograph of a toddler, you have to put forth a bit more effort than, "Hey Wyatt. Look at me and smile!" (Just a little FYI for those "children's photography studios" we visited.) I mean, I can do that myself! So, you can just imagine my delight when a good friend of mine recommended Yuen Lui. As it turns out, it's really NOT that difficult to get good pictures of a rambunctious toddler. We had a fabulous experience, and Wyatt thought the photographer was really cool, with all of the fun tricks he had up his sleeve.



So, it's been just over a month now that a big, bad 2-year old has been living under our roof. For the most part, it's really not much different. Wyatt is still extremely strong-willed, which I suspect will only get worse in the next few months, and finding the right disciplinary techniques has proven to be quite difficult since nothing we do seems to have much of an impact on his behavior. Just the other day, I gave him that dreaded "death stare" when he did something he shouldn't have done. If it had been my mom doing that to me, I would have been peeing my pants. But of course, what does Wyatt do? He ends up staring me down!!! I couldn't believe it! I totally caved after what seemed like a lifetime of staring into his ornery (but very cute) blue eyes! I'm telling ya, the dude has a tude with spirit to match! This parenting stuff is much harder than I ever thought it could be. I never thought I'd be two years into motherhood and still wondering when I will actually get to be in charge. Seriously, when do you actually get to the point where you tell your child to do something, and they actually listen?!?! You moms out there with older children may be able to shed some light into the matter. I really don't see it happening for me--EVER!


While Wyatt may be a little on the crazy (and chronically sleep-deprived) side, he's also so incredibly lovable. I've never met a more social two year old. He loves to be around other kids (regardless of age), and they love to be around him. He really does light up a room with his smile, and for some reason, other kids really gravitate towards him. I love that I never have to worry about him sharing toys or being aggressive towards others. He's also just inherently funny, which makes for really fun stories--like the one you're about to read.

Now that he is a big two-year old, he has somehow (maybe from daddy?) learned how to force a belch. He thinks it is hilarious, while I find it rather annoying. Anyway, a couple mornings ago after drinking his milk, he got right up in my face and tried to force a belch. Well, he ended up regurgitating some milk, which made a big splat on the floor. I looked at him in frustration and asked, "What do you think you are doing?". He looked at me, and very seriously responded, "Good-NESS! I got hiccups!". You gotta love a two year old who is finally learning how to communicate!

He's also using his imagination a lot these days. It seems as though everything he picks up and carries throughout the house is a pizza! I promise, we don't even eat it that often, but for some reason he's obsessed. He also loves to drum on just about everything and refers to any tall structure as the tower of power!--thanks to his buddies, The Backyardigans.

His favorite phrases this week seem to be, "I got you now!", "It's amazing!", "I CAN'T do it!", and "I can't believe it!". His little brain is like a sponge, soaking up every bit of information he possibly can. It makes teaching him so much more fun now that I can tell whether or not I'm actually making a difference!

Physically, he's a bit taller and heavier than average, and extremely strong! At his well-child check up last month, he weighed 30 lbs and was 35 inches tall (75th-80th percentile for both). The poor guy still has a tiny head. I stopped keeping track of his measurements, but he's in like the 25th percentile (at most) for head circumference. Leave it to his dad to pass along the Tiny Head Syndrome! :-) Way to go, dad!






3 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Wow! He's talking a lot! My kids are trying to humble me, because I'm a speech therapist and NONE of my kids talked that much by two!!! Lauryn's been two since Sept 16th and she doesn't have nearly as many phrases as Wyatt. Whose head looks perfectly normal to me, by the way! :-) Cutie-pie!

October 28, 2007 at 7:52 PM 


Blogger Catrina and Eric had this to say:

Well, I wish I could take credit for it. But the only explanation I can come up with is that he's probably logged twice as many waking hours as most kids his age. So, he's probably had that much more exposure. Who knows!! Ha!

October 29, 2007 at 5:17 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

His pictures turned out fantastic!! I'm dreading the 2 yr old photo shoot myself.... Loved the belching story. Spencer frequently fakes hiccups... he thinks it's HILARIOUS.

October 29, 2007 at 11:07 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771