"SNOW" Much Fun!
Sunday, December 16, 2007

Author: Catrina
Wine Selection: No wine for me this morning...just enjoying a nice latte from the awesome espresso machine Eric bought me for my birthday 5 months ago. We just got it back from repair--they had it for two months!!! Gotta love those lattes!


We had so much fun on our previous trip to Mt Hood this winter that we decided to give it another go, but this time, there were inner tubes involved.



Wyatt was so excited to "pay in na snow" again--or should I say he was excited to EAT the snow.


Sometimes I think he was more interested in stuffing his face with frozen snow balls than actually riding the inner tube down the hill! His face was wet and cold, but he didn't seem to mind.

The tubes zoomed down the hill at an incredibly rapid pace. I'm not speaking from experience, of course, since the mommies wearing small babies get stuck with photography duty. But from the looks on their faces, I could tell that the boys had often left their stomachs at the top of the hill.


For the most part, snow tubing is a pretty safe activity, but the tricky part lies at the bottom of the hill when people fail to get out of the way before the next tube comes barreling down the slope. We witnessed several near collisions, so we were very careful to steer clear of oncoming traffic. However, we had a little "incident" with another tube that we thought was worth sharing:

Imagine for a moment some of the scenes you've witnessed from movies in which a pedestrian in a crosswalk gets hit by a moving car and gets thrown onto the hood or windshield of the vehicle. Got the image in your head? Well, that's what happened to Wyatt when a brother and sister duo came sliding down the hill in their inner tube, unable to stop before plowing into our toddler. Wyatt was at the very bottom of the hill, so it's not like the kids were going super fast, but it happened fast enough that we weren't able to intervene before the collision took place. Seeing what was about to happen, I gasped and closed my eyes while Wyatt was thrown on top of the two kids upon impact. All I could do was yell out a frightened, "Oh, NO!". Much to our surprise (well, not really), Wyatt immediately jumps off of the brother and sister and begins to laugh hysterically! He thought it was so much fun!! I'm telling you, this boy is absolutely fearless!! Seeing how much fun Wyatt thought it was to get plowed over by an inner tube, Eric tried to re-create the incident. Of course, Wyatt was incredibly excited to relive the grand adventure.


They took a little break from the excitement to help build a snow fort. A couple of other little boys (probably about 8 years old) were pretty territorial of the fort, as I think they did most of the constructing. They must have had younger siblings because they seemed to be very aware of the potential for disaster when letting a 2 year old "help" build onto their fort.


We plan on spending a lot of time on the mountain this winter since Wyatt loves it so much. Maybe Avery will "warm" up to the cold a little bit better so that Mommy can get out and enjoy some of the fun too.






3 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Go Wyatt! Tubing was my favorite as a kid.... and while now I'd much rather stay warm inside, I'm thinking we should follow your lead and get Spencer out there.

BTW, he LOVES Eric's hat! Every time he sees a picture, he says "ooh, cowboy! Neat!"

December 16, 2007 at 8:08 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

That looks like so much fun! I'm jealous!

December 16, 2007 at 10:42 PM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

The picture with Wyatt holding onto Eric's head is great. The look on his face is priceless!

December 17, 2007 at 1:50 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771