What's In a 'Nick' Name?
Thursday, December 20, 2007

Author: Catrina
Wine Selection: Papio Merlot

I’m personally not a big fan of nicknames, which is why it was so important for me to choose names for our children that couldn’t be shortened or altered in any way. So when Eric started calling our son “Bubba”, I’m sure you can just imagine my annoyance. Over time it became more tolerable, although I would NEVER call him that myself. It wasn’t until “Sissy” came along that the nickname pretty much became ingrained in our house, as I too started referring to him as “Bubba”—not my proudest moment! I find it a tad bit unfortunate that our children--who were given strong, respectable names--will forever be known in our household as simply “Bubba” and “Sissy”. :-)

Not only has Avery had the great misfortune of being given a nickname that is also commonly used to describe a man who is weak in mind and body, but her daddy has added injury to insult by giving her yet another (not so feminine) nickname--SPIKE! Seriously, what's wrong with Princess, Cupcake, or even Sweetcheeks?!?!? But I guess "Spike" remains consistent with the other nicknames he's given to our children--like "Killer" for example! Sheesh!

In the past couple of weeks, Avery has been sporting a very interesting hairdo. It is growing out quite a bit on the top, but it doesn't matter how much you try to comb it over to the side, both sides of of her hair automatically shift back towards the center, giving her this very awkward line down the middle of her head that bears an uncanny resemblance to that of Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley. Hopefully everyone reading this has at least heard of Laverne and Shirley or else I'm going to feel SO OLD! But just in case, here is a picture of Squiggy and his tiny little look-a-like.










This little hair malfunction has inspired me to play "up" her natural hair "line" a bit. It was by accident one day this week after her bath that I realized how her hair naturally wants to form a mohawk when you run a comb through it. Just for fun, I decided to leave it--and two days later--not ONE hair was out of place!




So, this is the meaning behind Avery's new nickname. Eric had been calling her "Spike" for some time because her hair would stick up on the top, but she's definitely living up to the name now! I think it looks so cute, and what's even more interesting is that she seems to have embraced the new hairstyle because she has been much more spunky than usual the past couple of days. I think she definitely feels at her best when she's making a fashion statement!

I certainly wouldn't want her to have a mohawk forever, but for the time-being, I think it's adorable on her.







3 Comments:
Blogger Chris & Shelley had this to say:

I think that mohawk is ADORABLE on Avery!!!! Even through the pictures you can tell she feels "spunkier"! TOO CUTE!

December 21, 2007 at 9:19 AM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

Oh Catrina. That baby girl is so beautiful.

December 21, 2007 at 10:43 PM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Now THAT is funny!

A toast to Spike! HA!

I used to watch Laverne and Shirley so don't feel old. Aww crap, we are the same age! Maybe we ARE old! :) Hee hee!

December 28, 2007 at 11:17 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771