Butting Heads
Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wine Selection: What do you know...I'm actually drinking a chardonnay!

Our family dynamic can be very interesting at times. Eric is your typical Type A personality with a splash of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (aka OCD), while I have an extremely laid-back disposition in which I'm constantly striving to just live in the moment without taking life too seriously. Unfortunately, Eric often interprets my quest for peace and tranquility as being "flighty", or "aimlessly floating through life without a goal". He's entitled to his opinion, although I do find his attitude to be fairly typical for someone with his personality handicap. HA! (for those who didn't catch the sarcasm).

In all seriousness, it seems to work out really well for us. We find that we're constantly challenging one another, making us better (and more balanced) individuals, as well as life partners. There are times, however, when (like most married couples) we just don't get one another--where we both find ourselves shaking our heads in utter disbelief as to the other person's distorted thought process.

For instance, a couple of nights ago Eric was torturing Wyatt in the bathtub by pouring water over his head in an effort to rinse out all of the shampoo...I know, how cruel! :-) We're pretty accustomed to Wyatt's protest to be clean, which is why I was waiting outside of the bathtub (with his puppy dog towel in hand) to scoop up the hysterical toddler. As I got him out of the bathtub, I placed his wet, wailing body directly on the bathroom floor and proceeded to get him dry. Eric just stood and stared in disbelief.

Me: What.

Eric: Why didn't you put the bath towel down before you got him out?

Me: Excuse me....WHAT?!?! [Wyatt still crying]

Eric [shaking his head]: Now the floor is all wet!

He continued to look at me in disbelief, as if what I had done was worse than breaking one of the ten commandments.

Me [sarcastically]: Oh, forgive me (as I dramatically retrieved the towel and tossed it on the floor to soak up the drops of water). There. Now it's not wet.

He was truly baffled as to why I didn't think to put the towel down before I got the wet baby out of the tub. I was in utter disbelief that it was actually an issue and that we were wasting time even discussing it. I would understand if it had more to do with Wyatt's safety--to keep him from slipping on the floor, but his concern lay only with the unnecessary dampness of the floor (which was an easy fix, in my opinion).

Me: You know, Eric, you may just be surprised at how many people don't actually put a towel down before getting their kids out of the bathtub.

Eric: NO. I think you'd be surprised at how many people would be surprised by what you just did.

Now, I've never considered myself to be THAT much of a rebel--to sway THAT much from the norm, but maybe I'm falling a bit more towards the laid-back extreme part of my personality. At any rate, I jokingly told Eric that I would take a poll just to see how many people find my behavior to be absurd.

So, what's the verdict? How important it is for you to have a drip towel/rug in place to prevent unnecessary water from accumulating on the floor (temporarily). Is it really a big deal to you, or are you laughing just as hysterically as I am right now?






5 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

My husband has the same personality handicap as yours. And I, like you, pull the kids directly out of the tub onto the floor. I don't even sweat it when they splash a bit too much and soak the floor while they're still in the tub! I just figure I'll wipe it up with a towel later and call it "cleaning the bathroom floor." Ha!

January 24, 2008 at 7:56 AM 


Blogger Brett had this to say:

I'm going to have to back Eric up here...no unnecessary water should appear on the bathroom floor at any time. That said, I can't believe Eric dislikes water on the floor now. When we were growing up, he'd take a shower and get water everywhere when he got out. It was almost as if he were a dog and would get out and shake violently to dry himself out. (Woah, funny mental picutre.) Everything in the bathroom was soaked when he came out!

January 24, 2008 at 8:11 AM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Well considering Nathan pees from his bath onto the floor, I'd have to go with no towel/mat on this one!

January 24, 2008 at 10:15 AM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

I don't know anyone who can keep the floor dry while bathing children, which is why I keep a towel on the floor pretty much all the time to soak it up later. (And by children, I'm also talking about husbands.) Works great for "cleaning the bathroom floor", as someone else mentioned! I'm still shaking my head at your conversation - what a laugh!!

January 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Awww crap! I like the towel down on the floor and I am pretty anal......

Although I think this started because I didn't want her to slip and fall.

But I don't like to touch the cold floor when I get out so I always step on a towel too.

Hmmmmm..... Can I call my vote a tie between the both of you?

January 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771