Its Beauty Never Ceases to Amaze Me
Saturday, January 19, 2008

Wine Selection: RedTree Petite Sirah

It was about 30 degrees and raining/snowing this morning, but we still managed to bundle everyone up for a hike in one of my favorite Oregon locations--The Columbia River Gorge. To me, The Gorge encompasses everything you envision when you think of the Pacific Northwest-- plunging waterfalls, cascading waterfalls, mossy rocks and trees, magnificent cliffs, and spectacular views of an enormous river.

It was Avery's first time in the backpack. Fortunately for us, she seemed to enjoy it just as much as Wyatt did when he was a baby. She even managed to sneak in a little catnap during the hike.

The kiddos and me heading up the mountain
Wyatt (the daredevil that he is) insisted on walking on the very outside edge of the trail with steep drop-offs. In the picture, it looks like I'm holding his hand, but I'm really just trying to keep him to the inside and my nerves intact. This boy really knows how to stress me out sometimes.

We soon found a really neat hollow tree with a nice Wyatt-sized hole, perfect for taking a rest break, seeking shelter from the rain, or staging a cute photo. We chose the latter.


It would've been a really great picture if not for the somewhat catatonic appearance of his hands. Since he refused to actually wear his gloves, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually frozen in that position.

We finally made it to the most impressive part of our hike--a beautiful plunging waterfall! Even more impressive is how the trail took us directly behind the falls for a completely different, yet equally spectacular view.


I think every time we go to The Gorge, I go on and on about how much I love the moss-covered rocks and trees. I'm sure Eric has the monologue memorized at this point! But seriously, apart from the waterfalls, I think it's the most gorgeous part (especially when it's foggy and misting a bit). Here is a picture of some rocks covered in moss with the Columbia River in the background (it doesn't even come close to doing it justice, but at least you have an idea).


Aside from the slightly frigid temperatures, it turned out to be a great afternoon activity. Wyatt even got to see the "busy, busy, busy" choo-choo trains hard at work. We could hear them and periodically see them from the trail, which I'm sure that alone made the hike worthwhile for him.






4 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

If you keep posting pictures like this, you might have a family from Lubbock showing up on your doorstep, demanding to be shown such beauty in real life!!! That is awesome. What a gift to live there, even if just for a season.

January 20, 2008 at 8:42 AM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Gorgeous pictures.... how wonderful to live in such beauty. I absolutely love the Pacific Northwest. I hope to be lucky enough to live there someday. But in the meantime, Spencer and I may have to come for a visit!!

January 21, 2008 at 3:59 PM 


Blogger Catrina and Eric had this to say:

Hey guys...you're more than welcome! We'd love to have you. We'll only be here for 2.5 more years, so start thinking about it. :-)

January 21, 2008 at 9:06 PM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Can I come live with you?? You have breath taking scenery!

LOL! I just read Starr's comment after writing that sentence! It looks like you are gonna have a lot of people moving in! HA!

January 22, 2008 at 9:26 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771