Spooky Forests of the Oregon Coast
Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wine Selection: Concannon Merlot
Personal Rating: **Fair**

This is the time of year when living in Oregon (in my opinion) just stinks. It has been raining for 4 months, and frankly, I'm getting just a teensy bit bored with my everyday, purple rain jacket look. I'm just itching to see more of the sun, but each new week seems to bring a 7-day forecast even more grim than the week before. But rather than let the rain get the best of us, we decided to venture out onto the soggy trails of the Oregon Coast this weekend.

The Falcon Cape Trail was a new one for us, and it certainly did not disappoint. However, we were absolutely exhausted when we finally finished, as it took us an incredible 6 HOURS to complete the 5-mile expedition! With Wyatt in the backpack and Avery in the Bjorn, we planned on making good time. However, we didn't expect that Wyatt would become so intent on walking most of the way. After we mistakenly gave in to his request to get out of the backpack only 1.5 miles into our hike, any attempts to get him back into the pack were foiled. He amazingly (and very slowly) hiked 3.5 miles on terrain that an adult would consider moderate to difficult. Eric and I were both in shock but very proud that he had enough determination to go the distance. What a trooper!

In addition to beautiful scenery, you sometimes have the good fortune of stumbling upon wildlife if you keep your ears open and eyes peeled. Over the years, we've come across things like snakes, frogs, grouse, chipmunks, marmots, and quail, but this is the first time we've ever seen a mouse. I must say, it was the friendliest little mouse you'd probably ever meet. And it wasn't one of those creepy-looking house mice--it was so adorable. We decided to call him Templeton since we've been watching Charlotte's Web lately (I know...Templeton is a rat, but it was the best way for Wyatt to make the connection). We watched the mouse for a good 15-minutes as he (or she) inched closer towards us--until finally becoming brave enough to climb on my shoe! We could not believe it--what a treat!



One of the most spectacular sights of the hike was when we came across a roaring waterfall that emptied right into the ocean. What a sight, indeed!

This was our view from Cape Falcon. It was rather cold and windy, as it usually is on the coast, so we stayed just long enough to marvel at the turbulent waters crashing against the magnificent cliffs before making our trek back through the spooky forest, as Wyatt likes to call it.






2 Comments:
Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Okay, you may keep your rain forecast, but I heart your scenery...especially the waterfall!

February 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

At least it's only rain and not snow. We've had snowstorm after snowstorm here and I gotta say... I've had quite enough. I'm jealous that you can still get outside and with scenery like that to boot - WOW!

February 11, 2008 at 12:20 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771