Back in the Saddle
Friday, March 14, 2008

Wine Selection: Screw Kappa Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
Personal Rating: ****Excellent!****

I have been a "runner" for more than ten years now. Before motherhood, running was my greatest passion. I was heavily involved in the running community and would enter at least two running events per month during the spring and summer months. While I was certainly not a competitive runner, I was constantly challenging myself mentally and physically to run longer distances at a faster pace. I craved the "runners high" and couldn't get enough. I was fortunately able to complete one of my personal life goals of running a marathon (26.2 miles) just prior to becoming pregnant with Wyatt. So, I was happy to have accomplished that before having children.

Naturally, my training was put on hold for about a year (that was the plan anyway). It is now 3 years later and I'm still trying to regain my runner status. But now that our family is complete (that is, unless God decides to play a very cruel joke on us), I'm more determined than ever to start getting back to some of the things that are important to my own personal growth. I'm not asking for much--just a daily shower, some quality time with my husband, and some time to run. Sounds doable, right? I've found that it is most definitely easier said than done (and pretty much impossible if I expect to do all three in the same day)!

But I'm very excited to report that I have officially committed to participating in my first running event in over three years!!! I'm running the 8k (5 mi) portion of Portland's Shamrock Run this Sunday. I'm so excited but very nervous. It's crazy because I have the same silly fear of being the last one to cross the finish line that I did for my first ever 5k back in college. Although, I am quite a bit slower (and fatter) than I was back then, so my concern may be a little more valid this time around. Hehe!




I'm not in the greatest of shape, but I'm pretty certain I can handle 5 miles.

Famous Last Words!!

Labels:






2 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Good luck, Catrina! I know you'll do great!!! :)

March 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Way to motivate yourself - yeah! Good luck on the race!! I used to walk 5ks with a friend... our goal was always to not be last, since we were just walking. I'm so proud to say we always met our goal. :)

March 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771