The Beauty of Bribery
Wednesday, March 19, 2008


Wine Selection:
Avery Lane Cabernet Sauvignon
(Can you tell most of my wine purchases are purely based on the name?)
Personal Rating:***Good***


In an effort to eliminate some of our bedtime battles with our strong-willed toddler, we've resorted to good, old-fashioned bribery (or "rewards" if you prefer). Some may proclaim this technique to be somewhat counter-productive or ineffective, but to that I say, "hogwash!".



This being our first sticker chart experience (thanks to Grandma Edgar) , we weren't too sure how receptive Wyatt would be to the process, but I've been very pleased with its effectiveness thus far in reducing his resistance to teeth brushing. It has not only been a great motivational tool for him, but it has also kept me on track. Trust me, it is agonizing enough to chase down a toddler with a toothbrush and then sit on him long enough to only accomplish a mediocre cleaning once per day, let alone twice. But it's amazing how much more motivated you become when you want to see your child succeed.

But I should definitely clarify that this is a work in progress. He is still quite a bit resistant to getting his teeth brushed, but rather than having to actually chase him down, he'll willingly lie down on the floor when we tell him it's time to brush his teeth (which I find hysterical).

The sticker chart has also been a great reinforcement tool for learning his colors. Although, he is still unwilling to verbally identify them by actual color name, but rather by their corresponding choo-choo color. So, as you can see, he has quite a few "Thomas" (blue) and "Percy" (green) stickers, with a few "Diesel 10" (yellow) and "James" (red). Can you say, "OBSESSED!"? At least I know he's not color blind. Sheesh....I was beginning to wonder.

It took him 2.5 weeks to earn his Diesel Train, and he was absolutely thrilled when I finally produced what I had been threatening (I'm sorry..."encouraging") him with for over two weeks.


I guess we'll keep it up and see how he does having gone through the process once already. If our success continues, perhaps this might be our solution for getting him to sleep through the night.

HA! Doubtful.






2 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Love your choice of the "Avery" wine. That's so cute. The few times I've been to the horse races, I pick my winners the same way. :-)

March 22, 2008 at 8:44 AM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Hey, whatever works! Spencer usually lets me brush his teeth without a fight, but only after he's had his turn to chew on the toothbrush and suck all the toothpaste off it first. I'm not so sure it's a very effective method.

March 22, 2008 at 10:47 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771