Exlporing God's Country With Kids....The REALITY!
Wednesday, March 5, 2008


Wine Selection: Screw Kappa Napa Cabernet Sauvignon
Personal Rating: ****Excellent!****

Now, I know all of the pictures I've been posting of all of our recent explorations of the Pacific Northwest convey a certain degree of peace and tranquility, as there seems to be nothing more invigorating than to admire (so up close and personal) some of God's finest craftsmanship and reflect on how, in all of its magnificence, it somehow cleanses the soul.

I would just like to set the record straight. That was BEFORE kids.

This is enjoying nature AFTER kids.

Inevitably, one or both kiddos will become hungry, tired, or injured while exploring. And who do they want? Yours Truly, of course. I'm often found holding both of them at any given time--trying to give a bottle, soothe someone to sleep, stop some tears, or kiss an ow-wee.

So, don't be fooled. It can be incredibly exhausting and stressful at times.

Trail hiking at one time consisted of selecting the most difficult terrain to the highest point, and hiking it in record time. Now, we're lucky if we actually make it to the top before someone has a meltdown, a diaper disaster, or a collision of some sort (rendering him incapable of functioning as a human being). If we are, in fact, successful at reaching the top, I can say with absolute certainty that a family of slugs would've been able to keep a faster pace. The above picture was taken at a point during our hike in which Wyatt just decided he had walked enough and that no one other than Mommy was capable of carrying him back down the mountain. Of course, Daddy intervened by offering to let Wyatt ride on his shoulders, and to that he agreed. Thank goodness.


Here I am with two sleepy (and very clingy) kiddos.

Just having fed Avery, we are on the trail also trying to convince Wyatt
that it REALLY is okay to pick up his bottom lip from off the ground.

All kidding aside, we really do love having our children experience with us all that nature has to offer, especially at such a young age. I WISH I would have been able to observe landscape like this when I was younger, and it's amazing how much it is taken for granted by some of the people who are native to this area. Sure, we've had to adjust our expectations a bit, but we honestly wouldn't have it any other way.






2 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

It must be great exercise!

March 5, 2008 at 11:16 AM 


Blogger Shelly and Jared had this to say:

I love hearing about your adventures, I laugh out loud pretty much EVERY time I read you blogs. I think you should write a book about maintaining sanity (or not) while raising children.

March 7, 2008 at 11:41 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771