Olympic National Park
Monday, March 3, 2008

Wine Selection: Screw Kappa Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

I'm pretty certain this bottle didn't cost more than $10-12, which is VERY rare for a Napa wine. Shelley, you should try this one!

Personal Rating: ****Excellent!****

We headed north this past weekend to enjoy the sights of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State. Since the entire peninsula is far too large to experience in a single weekend, we decided to explore the temperate rain forest surrounding Lake Quinault. This is a place in which rainfall averages about 100 feet per year and where some of the largest trees measure 300 feet tall and 60 feet in diameter! It's a very impressive place, to say the least.

Since we're on the topic of really tall trees, this particular area of the forest is home to the world's largest Sitka Spruce tree (which we visited when Wyatt was 9 months old), as well as the largest Western Red Cedar. The coolest part of the Red Cedar was being able to actually walk inside the tree, which Wyatt considered to be most entertaining.

Wyatt at the base of the Sitka Spruce in 2006


Wyatt inside the Red Cedar

Looking up from inside the base of the Red Cedar

While the ginormous trees were obviously an attraction, the highlight of the trip for me was when we fortuitously encountered the most vibrant rainbow I've EVER seen. It was so spectacular that I even woke Wyatt up from his nap (which is considered the biggest sin in my parenting bible) so that he could experience the beautiful gift that nature bestowed upon us that day.


By the way, I should mention that Eric is the nature photographer in our family, so he's responsible for capturing all these beautiful images. He certainly has an amazing ability to bring such gorgeous landscapes to life, and I'm so thankful, as I have never been able to do them justice. I just wanted to share a couple of other photos he took that do not necessarily have a story behind them, but rather they just made me think, "WOW!" when I saw them.

Such a beautiful contrast in color (and I love the reflection on the lake)

A tiny mushroom growing out of a tree

I especially love this photo because he was able to see (and capture) the beauty and elegance in something that would have otherwise gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

It was certainly a great weekend. Hopefully we'll be able to make it back there again soon.






4 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

I always admire your nature photos. He definitely has a gift! I would have those matted and framed and hung around my home. Beautiful.

March 4, 2008 at 7:55 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Wow, those are absolutely beautiful pictures. I must say that you are brave putting Wyatt in light colored pants! Where did you find the SKN Napa wine? I must go pick up a bottle!

March 4, 2008 at 8:48 AM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Beautiful! I love the tree pictures. Our last walk was only around the neighborhood!

March 4, 2008 at 2:54 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Eric's photos are simply incredible. I wish I had such talent! I also wish we could even get outside for a walk - it's still too cold here, brrrr!

March 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771