Change of Plans
Sunday, April 6, 2008


Our original plan when we left the house this morning was to hike Dog Mountain in the Columbia River Gorge. It is a very popular trail due to the abundance of wildflowers in bloom this time of year. It is a very steep and strenuous 3-mile climb to the top but completely worth the effort, as hikers are greeted at the top with such a vibrant bouquet of flowers (or so we've heard). The best time of year to go is in May, but we decided we'd give it a shot today, as we guessed the weather would probably be most cooperative for us there. Not so much. We made it about half-way to the top before we decided to turn around. It was raining, and the higher in elevation we climbed, the colder it got. The wildflowers weren't even at their peak yet, so we just decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Apparently we made a wise decision because we ran into a group of hikers who had just finished, and they told us it was actually very cold, windy, and SNOWY at the top. We definitely felt better about our decision after hearing that. We'll try again next month and hopefully get to share some amazing photos.

Instead of making the hour drive back to Portland, we decided to grab some lunch and take the kids to a park near Mt. Hood. Wyatt had a grand time climbing on top of various structures and then jumping to the ground.


His very proud "Ta-Da!" pose

Of course, Avery thought she was pretty big stuff being able to stand next to a tree without help. Since she is usually confined to some sort of baby carrier, she took full advantage of the opportunity to showcase her big girl skills.


Standing is her "thing" right now. Lately, approximately 80% of her waking hours are spent standing and holding on to something. The remaining 20% are usually spent in her high chair sampling various finger foods, as it seems to be the only break I can get these days. I'm sure you can imagine her delight when Daddy offered his hands to help her do what she does best.


The Hat

I'm a little sad (not really..shhh) to report that Eric's most prized possession (and the kids' favorite plaything) was accidentally left behind. Eric is understandably upset, but is hoping it will still be there when he goes back that way to fly fish tomorrow morning. We'll keep our fingers crossed. These may very well be the last photos we'll ever see of the kiddos with "Daddy's Hat!".




Even though our plans had changed, we were still able to get in some good, quality family time. I'll take that any day!

UPDATE: The hat has been retrieved. Shucks! :-)



Wine Selection:
Fetzer Merlot
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****
Comments: The more I drink this wine, the more I love it. It is very flavorful, but not too powerful to drink without food. Another plus--it's under $10...you can't beat that!






5 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

2 Things for your Beloved Eric. First, I'm was glad to see Jeff Gordon do so well this weekend in Texas. Second, the hat never really looked good, much less on Eric's head. So, is it really a loss?

----Kevin

April 7, 2008 at 12:23 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Avery is getting so big! She is so cute!

April 7, 2008 at 12:24 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Spencer loves the picture of Avery standing by the tree... he said "She's climbing the tree! She needs to reach the purple plums!" (A Mickey Mouse Clubhouse reference, of course.)

April 7, 2008 at 6:26 PM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

I just can't get over how adorable your kids are. Wyatt is so rough and tumble handsome and Avery looks like a princess! Too much.

April 8, 2008 at 9:07 AM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

I LOVE Wyatt's curls! This are great pictures!

April 8, 2008 at 10:33 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771