Chicago Isn't the Only Windy City
Saturday, April 12, 2008

Although the skies were dark when our plane touched down in good 'ol T-Town, we awoke this morning to the most radiant sunshine we've seen in months. While Wyatt and I were basking in its rays with smiling faces, Avery was a bit unsure of what to think when the only gray skies she had ever known (or remembered) had suddenly turned a magnificent shade of blue. Even more shocking were the incredible gusts of wind that took her breath away the moment we stepped outside. The poor girl was helplessly flailing her limbs and gasping for air as we made our way to my nephew Hayden's soccer game. I had forgotten how bone-chilling the Oklahoma wind can be, and at that very moment started to reconsider any possibility of ever moving back to a climate of such extremes. Nevertheless, we all managed to survive the elements and were thoroughly entertained as we watched a bunch of 5 year old boys kick the soccer ball (or pick their noses) around the field.


Hayden is the boy in the orange hat, and apparently, is quite the joker on the field. I guess it's not too uncommon to see him faking an injury,


or playing Superman on the sidelines when he should be cheering on his teammates.


But occasionally you'll find him making great plays and really going after the ball. Hey...you gotta love a kid who doesn't take things too seriously. Life is entirely too short to be doing that when you're in Kindergarten. Now, first grade...that's a completely different ball game.

Wyatt and his cousin Emily enjoyed hanging out on the sidelines with Grandma Lafferty (my mom) but were definitely ready to retreat to the nice, warm car after the game.


Regardless of weather, it sure is great to be with family again!


Wine Selection:
Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: This wine looked really cool, so I thought I'd give it a try. To me, this is a very complex wine and would be much better enjoyed with a nice, juicy steak. I certainly do appreciate its boldness though. While the first sip was a bit overwhelming, it eventually became much easier and smoother to drink. It's a great wine, just better paired with food, in my opinion.






1 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Hope you have a very fun visit in good old Tulsa!! Vacations always seem to go way too fast. Fingers crossed that the weather holds out for you!

April 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771