I've Turned Vintage
Sunday, April 13, 2008



I was very excited, after two years, to finally replace my old running shoes today. As my deformed, post-pregnancy feet were being fitted for their new, slightly larger (not to mention wider) running shoes, the young guy helping me chuckled as he recognized the shirt I was wearing from the marathon training program I had participated in a few years back.

"Wow! That shirt brings back so many memories...it's SO vintage", he remarked.

"Vintage?!?!", I inquired embarrassingly.

"Yeah...in a cool kind of way", he answered, trying to make me feel better about my dingy duds.

I know I've been on a running hiatus for a few years, but vintage?!?! I guess I'm somewhat thankful he chose "vintage" over "antique", but nonetheless, I still felt compelled to nonchalantly take a new shirt off the rack and slip into the dressing room before anyone else commented on my outdated attire.

Armed with my new running shoes, I hit the trail for a leisurely 3-mile jog--unable to shake the whole vintage comment. "Since when is clothing considered vintage after three years?", I thought to myself. I was convinced the "kid" in the running store had no clue what he was talking about.

But as I continued to pass by what appeared to be various high school track girls (who looked like they were about 12, by the way) with their fancy ipods, stylish running gear, and rock-hard abs, I started to inspect much more closely how I might have potentially been perceived by them. Did I look like the fit, recent college grad that I felt like on the inside? Let's examine.

*The shorts I was wearing were most likely purchased when those track girls were still wearing diapers.

*My shirt had already been labeled as "vintage".

*I probably didn't earn any youthful points for the old-school, bright yellow walkman strapped to my arm. Although it could have been worse. At least it wasn't one of those bulky cassette players that attached at the waist. Remember those? I don't own an ipod, nor would I even know how to operate one.

*And let's face it. I've had two kids in the last 3 years. There is a little less rock and a little more roll when it comes to my abdominal region.

*Finally, I can't say that many "youngsters" jam out to Bill Withers' Lean on Me when they get into their car post-run.
I can now say with absolute certainty that the young little whippersnapper in the running store may have hit the nail right on the head. I'm sure he had no idea how powerful his words would become, as they prompted some much-needed scrutiny into the person I've become versus the person I would like to be. I certainly appreciate him for that, for it sometimes takes a complete outsider to help you recognize certain aspects about yourself that you never knew existed (or wanted to accept).

I don't want to be THAT person. You know, the one that still wears the MC Hammer balloon pants just because they're comfortable.

As functional as they still are, I think it's time to ditch the 12-year old running shorts and vintage shirt and trade them in for something a little more current. And maybe...just maybe I might work up enough courage to go techno and figure out how to work an ipod! I said MAYBE!


Wine Selection:
Educated Guess Cabernet Sauvignon
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: This wine looked really cool, so I thought I'd give it a try. To me, this is a very complex wine and would be much better enjoyed with a nice, juicy steak. I certainly do appreciate its boldness though. While the first sip was a bit overwhelming, it eventually became much easier and smoother to drink. It's a great wine, just better paired with food, in my opinion.






4 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

I can't believe he said vintage either! You should definately get an ipod. They are great!

April 14, 2008 at 7:53 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Funny how one little comment can change your life! I decided I was "old" several years ago when COLLEGE students started to look like they were about 12 years old!

April 14, 2008 at 8:53 AM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

GET YOURSELF AN iPOD. IMMEDIATELY.

April 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Definitely get an ipod... you will not regret it.

I pulled out an old t-shirt I got at a 5k from 2004 (gasp!) the other day (to replace my other totally worn out 5k shirt that I've been wearing for the last 5 years). Is that vintage too? I guess we're old, sigh.... :)

April 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771