Countdown to Destruction: Sur la table
Thursday, May 8, 2008


Meet our dining room table. This is the single piece of furniture in our house I’m most excited about replacing one day. It’s such a monstrosity that I’m really not even sure it qualifies as furniture. At this point, we can’t justify spending the money to buy a new one—which means we’ll have to wait until either Eric is finished with residency or the table just finally decides to give out on us. Considering it’s literally on its last leg, we might just be preparing our bonfire sooner than we think.

It is dying a slow and incredibly painful death (more painful for me than the table, I think). Each day, it seems as though I’m tossing another cushion into the garbage (we’re down to just one now), or discovering a lonely screw on the floor that has somehow managed to abandon ship--thereby increasing the likelihood that one day a chair will (mark my words) collapse when either Eric or I sit in it. Dear God (fingers crossed)please don’t let it be me, and if it's not then please (oh, pretty please) let there be a video camera handy!

I acquired this table when I was in grad school from a neighbor who was gearing up for a cross-country move. I knew it was a piece of junk at the time, but beggars can’t be choosers when it comes to free stuff, right? However, if I would have known that nearly a decade later I would be sharing meals with my family at this table, I would have run (more like sprinted) far, FAR away.

The table (in an effort to drive me absolutely mad) may actually make it two more years. But if it does, it will seriously be hanging on by a thread (a frayed one at that). So, I thought it might be fun for Sipping Chardonnay readers to join us for the final days or months (hopefully not years) leading up to the big bonfire. There will no doubt be some very interesting things to report between now and then. I’ll even open up the floor for bets on which one of us takes the first fall! Stay tuned.



Wine Selection:
Trellis Cabernet Sauvignon
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: Cheap wine--cheap flavor. I probably won't buy it again.






1 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Ah, hand-me-down furniture is the BEST, isn't it? ;) I give this poor table and chairs about 5 more months... or, let's just say if my baby comes and they're still standing, they've got more stamina than I have. Looking forward to the updates!

May 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771