Just In Time for Mother's Day
Sunday, May 11, 2008

I found it very fortuitous to be hiking alongside meadows bursting with colorful and fragrant bouquets of wildflowers on the very weekend in which mothers around the country will be gifted with thousands of blooms, symbolic of love and appreciation. As I marveled at the vast array of natural floral arrangements customized by God himself, I so desperately wished I could handpick just a few to share with all the mommies in my life. But since we can't afford next-day air shipping, I figured the next best thing would be to present you with a virtual Mother's Day bouquet guaranteed to last forever!

I would first like to wish all of my mommy friends a Happy Mother's Day. Without them, I probably would have already checked myself into a mental institution. They are smart, beautiful, and I can always count on them for support and encouragement. When I saw this little cluster of flowers, it reminded me of how mothers tend to huddle together in an effort to create something truly magnificent. We're all striving to achieve the perfect balance when it comes to parenting our children, and each of my friends brings something unique and special to the table. You guys know who you are, and I hope you know how much I appreciate you. Treat yourself to some of the finer things in life today--like going the bathroom by yourself. You deserve it! :-)






These flowers reminded me of another very special mommy...my sister. Walking into a meadow of these flowers is sure to warm the hearts of the coldest souls and put smiles on the longest faces. That's exactly how I feel about my sis. Everyone loves to surround themselves with her positive energy, and her children are a complete reflection of her. She has tremendous patience, and her multi-tasking skills are quite impressive. I only know one other person (Alison A.) who can perform up to 359 tasks every minute and still appear to have everything under control. I, on the other hand, start to go into cardiac arrest just watching them. :-)


One thing is for sure. Being a mother has given me a profound appreciation for my own. This woman has overcome many obstacles in her lifetime, has raised two (only slightly dysfunctional :-)) daughters as a single parent, and continues to strive for excellence in her personal life. I'm incredibly proud to report that she just recently became a college graduate--proof that it's never too late to reach for the stars. She has and always will be a source of inspiration for me. I chose this flower for her, primarily because it's just a little bit funky and different. She likes stuff like that. She often finds the beauty in things that others cannot. She loves to root for the underdog.






And I certainly couldn't let Mothers Day come and go without the mention of the best mother-in-law IN THE WORLD! I feel fortunate to have a very special relationship with my husband's mother, and I'm pretty sure there aren't many women who can say that. She is special in many different ways, but I am most appreciative of how she takes a genuine interest in my life. And her superb listening ability is second to none. Talking to her is like a breath of fresh air--kind of like these flowers. They also appear very clean and crisp--kind of like her house. I would seriously have no problems letting my kids eat off of her floors!

I sincerely wish all the mommies out there a very special Mother's Day! Love ya'll!






4 Comments:
Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Gorgeous flowers - thanks for sharing! I hope you had the BEST Mother's Day ever!!!

May 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Happy Mother's Day, Catrina! I truly don't think I'd survive being a stay-at-home mommy without you! Guess you didn't end up going camping??? ;)

May 11, 2008 at 7:36 PM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Ahh..Catrina that was a really sweet tribute to your friends and family. Beautiful pictures too!

May 11, 2008 at 9:12 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Nicely put! Happy Mother's Day!

May 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771