Memorial Weekend In Central Oregon
Monday, May 26, 2008

This Memorial Day weekend we joined our good friends, Kurt and Justine, for a relaxing weekend in Central Oregon. It was our first time to venture to that part of the state, and needless to say, we quickly realized we were going to need more than two measly days to adequately experience and appreciate its greatness. The charming little towns, the scenic hikes, the good food (and beer!), the museums, the shopping...I could go on and on! But in the two days we were there, we did get to experience some of the hot spots (while simultaneously planning our week-long trip back there in September!).

And because I got struck with a very unusual case of laziness, I was not my normal, shutterbug self. I didn't take a single picture! Can you believe it? So, you'll have to settle for something a little more generic today.

We had the great fortune of staying in a vacation home at the Sunriver Resort, just south of Bend. AWESOME! This resort is apparently one of the best golf hot spots in the U.S., but I wouldn't know from experience. With my golfing skills, I'm usually restricted to the driving range or putting green only. I haven't quite graduated to actually getting to play a real game. That is, unless you count alternate shot! I don't.

(Mt. Bachelor in the background)


I would have to say that one of our (I mean, Eric's) primary reasons for visiting was to experience the Deschutes Brewery in Bend. Eric has collected a logo pint glass from every brewery in the U.S. he has ever personally visited. And generally, every road trip is planned with breweries in mind. Yeah, it's not really that exciting to wait until 4PM to eat lunch on the road just because there isn't a brewery in close proximity! I'd estimate that he has over 30 glasses in his collection. To put it mildly, he's a bit of a maniac. At any rate, the beer and food were actually quite "deLICIOUS!", as Wyatt would say.



On our second day, I had the opportunity to indulge in a bit of wine tasting at Volcano Vineyards in Bend. If I had a single complaint of the area, it would be that there aren't enough wineries there. Hehe! And of course, we'd feel a little guilty toting the kids around to enjoy our own personal pleasures unless we let them indulge in a bit of their own. There was such a neat, old-fashioned soda fountain (Goody's) around the corner from the winery. When we walked in and saw all of the candy, ice cream, and caramel popcorn, Wyatt's eyes got as big as silver dollars. I even treated Avery to a couple of bites of ice cream. I know...the Nutrition Nazi giving an 11-month old ice cream...It's amazing how much more relaxed you are with your second!

I have never been more excited about planning a family vacation before. Eric has already told me the few things he would like to do in September, and the rest is up to me. I'm so excited about spending more time in Bend, Oregon and the surrounding cities and towns. I am so incredibly jealous that my friend, Shelley was able to grow up in this area. How awesome!

The most interesting part of this whole adventure is that Avery and I are actually back home, while Eric, Kurt, and Justine have taken my sweet little boy to Malheur National Forest for an additional four days. I have never been away from Wyatt for more than one night, and I have such mixed feelings about it. I'm so excited to have a break--to get some projects done around the house. But I'm suddenly terrified that I'm never going to see him again because he's going to die from a rattlesnake bite. I swear, motherhood can be a blessing and a curse at the same time. I have actually been thinking about it for a while, and even asked Eric if he could get his hands on some anti-venom. Seriously. There must to be some perk of being a doctor, right? Of course, he's too much of a rule-follower to unethically acquire some (like most doctors ;-)). But since every adult that will be caring for Wyatt has a medical degree, I have to keep telling myself that surely--SURELY--he will come back to me with a pulse.

I'll just plan on keeping myself super busy with cleaning, exercising, and taking pictures of Avery. She doesn't even know how excited she'll be to hog all of the blog spots while Wyatt is away.


Wine Selection
: Napa River Chardonnay
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: This is a fairly inexpensive (about $5) wine I bought from Trader Joes, and of the six I purchased from there, I think this is my favorite so far. It is incredibly easy to drink by itself, and very smooth. If you're not a regular wine drinker, this would probably be a decent choice. I'd certainly like to buy it again.


Labels:






1 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I'm in absolute shock that you didn't even take one picture! I can't wait to hear more about your visit to my hometown...just think how much more fun you'll have in September when the weather is better. You'll have to be sure to head to the High Desert Museum on your next trip...Wyatt would love it!

May 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771