Butterfly Birthday
Sunday, June 15, 2008


We celebrated Avery's first birthday this weekend. We had a small get-together at our house with family, as well as a couple of her best girlfriends (Maggie and Sienna)--all three of them born within four weeks of each other. Their moms, who I often refer to as "my Shell(e)ys" , have been such an amazing source of support since I have lived in Portland and I value their friendship immensely. As if sharing the same first name isn't interesting enough, we learned yesterday that they even share the same middle name. So, apparently you can't be my friend unless your name is Shell(e)y Lynn. What a strange coincidence, eh?




From the left: Shelly, Maggie, Sienna, Shelley, Me, and Avery

At any rate, I was a little nervous about how Avery would handle all of the attention and commotion around her, but she actually did very well. In fact, she was plainly aware that everyone was there for her and turned into quite a little social bug. One of "my Shell(e)ys" even commented on how she had never seen Avery so outgoing before, as she's almost always the very shy and sensitive one in the bunch. I was very proud of my little Avery!


The Cake
(drum roll please....)


I must admit that while this cake was fun to decorate, it is probably my least favorite one of the three I've done so far. There's just part of me that feels like I could have come up with something a little more creative for her first birthday. It was much easier than the other two (probably because I have a little more experience under my belt), so perhaps that's the reason behind my foolishness! I just didn't feel the awesome sense of accomplishment as I did with the others--that, and the puke green color (which should have been a bright lime green) was a bit of a turn off. But hey, I'll make it up to her next year with maybe a two-headed chinchilla or something. Hehe! On the up side, it was the best melt-in-your-mouth strawberry cake I've ever tasted! Wyatt wholeheartedly concurs.

Avery's First Sugar Rush
She went for the cake without hesitation and seemed to enjoy every second of its sugary sweetness. Although, she started to get a little irritated when she couldn't shake the icing off of her hands. By that time, she had more than enough sugar to keep her wired for at least two more hours!



Family Picture
(minus one gremlin)


It is nearly impossible these days to get a decent picture of our little family of four. It's usually Eric (with some type of funky expression), Avery, and me--with a little blurred image in the corner. That would be Wyatt zooming by at lightning speed. With Avery now on the move, it may be several more years before we get a picture worth framing. But I'm willing to wait. At this point, I'm perfectly content watching them walk, run, dance, and jump to infinity and beyond while exploring the world around them. There's nothing more rewarding than that.

The Purse

Once the party was over, Wyatt had to give Avery a lesson on how to properly open presents. He must have felt that she wasn't quite getting it because I'm pretty certain he opened every one of them for her, and then took off to his bedroom with whatever gifts he decided he wanted to keep for himself. Let's just say he had a hard time understanding that it wasn't his birthday party. Thanks to Steve and Renee, Avery is now the proud owner of her very first purse. Isn't it a beauty?


She had better watch out though. I think someone else had his eye on that beautiful accessory--and it wasn't Wyatt.


I'm just waiting for the day little 3-year old Avery manages to sucker her daddy into carrying her purse or barbie doll collection in a crowded establishment of some sort simply because she's "just too tired" to bear the extra weight herself. He claims it will never happen, but I think we both know differently.

Wine Selection: Sebeka Sauvignon Blanc
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: Sauvignon blanc used to be our white wine of choice, but I'm just not really enjoying it as much as I did previously. It may be a little too buttery, maybe? I'm not quite sure. But it may also have more to do with the fact that we just gravitate more towards reds over whites these days than we have before.

Labels: ,






4 Comments:
Blogger Laura had this to say:

Happy early birthday Avery! It looks like a fun party. That's so nice that Avery has friends so close in age. The cake looks really good. I'm doing a ladybug theme for Clara next weekend...hopefully her cake will turn out as nice.

June 16, 2008 at 9:53 AM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

I think the cake turned out great! I love the birthday hat!

June 16, 2008 at 11:37 AM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Happy birthday Avery!! I can't believe she's 1 already. Seems like just yesterday I found out you were pregnant again!

I love the cake! You have a real gift. I think I've given up on the whole cake decorating thing, after the frustration I had with Spencer's 2 yr old Mickey Mouse creation. Maybe I'll just hire you to do it instead!

June 16, 2008 at 11:03 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

Happy Birthday to my sweet Avery! Here's to the first of many fabulous birthdays (and equisite homemade cakes!). Kudos to you, mom! I only wish we couldnt shared in the joy of day. Hugs and kisses to all! ~Carmen

June 17, 2008 at 12:29 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771