Celebrating Three Decades!
Thursday, July 10, 2008


Another decade has come and gone. I have now officially reached the age that middle-schoolers consider "old"--a pill that's just a little hard to swallow. But for the most part I'm embracing my thirties, for I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be the best decade of my life. For me, the twenties were great. I graduated from college, married my best friend, ran a marathon, and became a mother. But there were also some years in which I was drenched in self-doubt, in debt up to my eyeballs, with no true sense of direction. Those were some very uncertain times in my life that I hope to never again revisit. I'm incredibly excited about what the next decade has in store for me and my family--traveling, little league, dance recitals, community involvement. Bring it on. I can handle a few crows feet and laugh lines. I said a few.

Today was an amazing day. I have not a single complaint. I woke up this morning to my two year old whispering sweet nothings in my ear. "Lightning McQueen is a very fast race car. ", he said in such a soft, sweet voice. You know it's gonna be a good day when you wake up giggling. I then managed to get everyone dressed, fed, and out the door in a reasonable amount of time to enjoy some gorgeous weather. Mommy was able to sneak in a 4-mile run without any complaints or protests to get out of the stroller, which earned the kiddos extra playing time at the park for being so pleasant. After nap time, we hopped in the car to pick up my birthday cake. Wyatt said he wanted birthday ice cream instead of birthday cake, so we compromised and bought an ice cream cake from Cold Stone Creamery. He felt very important as he helped make the selection--although I'm sure any one of the mouth-watering cakes in the window would have sufficed in satisfying his little sweet tooth. We then met Eric for dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, where I enjoyed one of my most favorite drinks--Margarita on the rocks.

And Wyatt wanted a picture with the birthday girl so he could showcase his new (and very Portland-esque) "Peace and Love" Volkswagen van.


After dinner, we enjoyed a little family time outside. Avery has the cutest walk I've ever seen! She brings her arms up to her chest and makes a fist with her hands. It is absolutely adorable. Wyatt is usually pretty good at helping her stumble to the ground, but I guess that's what big brothers do. She's a pretty good sport about it.




Wyatt was thrilled to finally come inside, sing Happy Birthday, and help blow out the candles. Avery wasn't too interested in the cake. She obviously hasn't yet developed a sweet tooth. I suppose we're still waiting on that one to come in--along with about 16 others! Hehe!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me a call, or send some birthday wishes, cards, or cash (ooh-la-la). I'm so fortunate to have such caring friends and family in my life. It means a lot.


Wine Selection: Forest Glen Merlot
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****
Comments: This has always been a favorite of ours. I think it is very easy to drink by itself or with food. If I had one complaint it would be that the finish is a little weak. However, Eric thinks it's perfect.

Labels: ,






9 Comments:
Blogger Carmen had this to say:

It's rare to see this many pictures of you on a blog entry! Uh-ummmm....Eric??? :) Anyway, I love you dearly and wish you many more fabulous birthdays.

July 11, 2008 at 6:45 AM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Happy Birthday Catrina! I'm glad you had such a great day. Yummmm...cold stone cake and a margarita. Two of my favorites :)

July 11, 2008 at 7:59 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I am so glad that you had such a great birthday!!! I'm not sure that I've woken up "giggling" since the kids were born. ha! That margarita looks very tasty...maybe we should try for some margaritas after our pedicures! ;)

July 11, 2008 at 9:56 AM 


Blogger Brett had this to say:

Happy Birthday, Sis (in-law)!

July 11, 2008 at 9:56 AM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

This comment has been removed by the author.

July 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Happy Birthday! Avery looks so cute walking around! What type of jogging stroller do you have?

July 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

It sounds like you had a really great day. I love the pictures!

July 11, 2008 at 12:00 PM 


Blogger Stephanie had this to say:

Happy belated birthday!

July 13, 2008 at 9:45 AM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Oh yea! What a great 30th birthday.

Happy late birthday. I haven't been in blog world much lately!

July 14, 2008 at 2:50 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771