Sipping Chardonnay Celebrates One Year!
Tuesday, July 1, 2008

This time last year, I was walking through a very dense fog as a chronically sleep-deprived new mother of two. I was absolutely drowning in diapers, and up to my elbows in feeding and sleeping schedules. Why on earth I decided to add to my workload by starting a blog for our family is absolutely mind-boggling to me. I think I did it in part because I enjoyed reading some of my friends' blogs, but mostly because we wanted our families to feel as much a part of our lives as we wish they could be.

My expectations in the beginning were minimal, and to be quite honest, I wasn't even sure I'd be able to keep up with it. Never in a million years would I have imagined that "blogging" would become such a therapeutic experience for me. Most importantly, it has helped me rediscover my passion for writing--something I dismissed many years ago when I foolishly decided it wasn't worth pursuing because I couldn't make "good money" doing it. But I'm certainly doing it now, not making a single penny, and loving every minute of self-reflection and discovery it provides.

Many people might not realize my incredible inability to verbally articulate what I'm thinking or feeling at any given moment. If you've ever been in an argument with me, then you're fully aware of my handicap. I will without a doubt lose 100% of the arguments of which I am involved, which is why I refuse to enter into a debate with anyone, even regarding issues in which I'm most passionate. Writing certainly gives me the outlet I need to provide a genuine glimpse into my mind (and soul, for that matter), which is incredibly important to me. I'm in no way comfortable with being misunderstood by others.

One thing I've learned this past year is that I'd be writing each and every one of these blog entries even if I had absolutely no audience for which to entertain. But much to my bewilderment at times, people actually are reading, and I thank each and every one of you who tune in on a regular basis to be a fly on our wall. I sometimes write when I'm being particularly inspired by something, other times I just write because I'm bored, overly excited, or just trying to prevent too much time from passing between postings. Regardless, I appreciate your faithfulness in checking in on our family.

In an effort to celebrate one year of bloggery, I thought it would be fun and rather appropriate to reward a Sipping Chardonnay reader with a bottle of chardonnay from the local Portland winery, Hip Chicks Do Wine. I selected this winery because I appreciate their passion for "making fun wine and wine fun". They have some of the most creative and fun wine names and labels I've seen. Don't worry, you don't have to be a chick to enjoy their wine! So, here's the scoop:


Every Sipping Chardonnay reader that leaves a comment on our blog during the month of July will be entered into a drawing to win a bottle of Bad Girl Blanc, a medium-bodied chardonnay with "citrus and apple flavors and a clean, dry finish". You will only be entered into the drawing once, so commenting on every post won't increase your chances! It's just a fun way for me to show my appreciation to those who care enough about our family to check in on us from time to time.

My account should now be set up to allow anonymous comments, so you don't have to create a google account to leave a comment. Just be sure to include your name so I know who you are. If you win, I'll have the bottle shipped directly to you--that is, unless you live in the Portland area. Then I'll deliver it to you.

Thanks again! Let the comments roll.



Wine Selection: Mad Housewife Merlot
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: This label cracked me up when I saw it, so I thought I'd try it. It in no way reflects my attitude about staying home full time with my kids and putting my career on hold. At least not today. :-)

Labels:






9 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

How in the world do you find these wineries? I've never even heard of the Hip Chicks Do Wine winery!!! You really need to write a book about all of the fun things to do in Oregon...it would be great for tourists and for those of us who grew up here and haven't seen nearly as much of it as you have! LOL!

July 1, 2008 at 8:41 AM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

Congrats on the one year mark!! Lubbock is a dry county, so if I win the wine it will be extra special. :-) HA!

July 1, 2008 at 9:12 AM 


Blogger Lindsay had this to say:

I am EXACTLY the same way with words. I can write pretty well, but cannot, for the life of me win arguments or think on my feet. Congrats on one year! :o)

July 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM 


Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

You need to write a book and name each chapter after a different wine. I have never heard of some of the wines you name!
Kathy (Courtney's mom)

July 2, 2008 at 7:26 AM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

Congrats on one year! I so do enjoy reading about your latest adventures, the pics are always so beautiful, and I look forward to your wine reviews as well. SKN is by far a fave of mine now thanks to you! Love ya sis, keep up the good work!

July 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM 


Blogger Stephanie had this to say:

We really enjoy reading the blog...it makes us feel like we are kept up to date with everything going on with you guys, and it makes me not quite as sad that I don't get to play with Wyatt and Avery as frequently as I'd like. :) Maybe someday I'll venture out into the blog world...

July 2, 2008 at 4:55 PM 


Anonymous Michelle G. had this to say:

I am excited to learn that I (as a non-blogger) can now post a comment. Be careful what you ask for, you might have created a commenting monster. I love reading your blog and keeping up with the Oregon news. Hope I can plan a visit soon!

July 3, 2008 at 4:45 PM 


Blogger Shelly and Jared had this to say:

I love your sense of humor and you know that totally shines through when you write. Your blog is a breath of fresh air. I totally disagree with you on one point however, I do believe you could make "good money" because you are very good at it!

July 4, 2008 at 11:41 PM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Congratulations on one year!! I love, love, love reading your blog and it has inspired me to 1) start my own blog and 2) take a trip to Oregon. Thanks Catrina!

July 8, 2008 at 10:38 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771