Trying To Beat the Heat
Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Since we don't have the luxury of air conditioning in our house, we decided to spend the morning at a nearby water park (beautifully designed with toddlers in mind). And because I didn't have to worry much about Wyatt getting himself into too much trouble, it was a great opportunity to bust out the butterfly bathing suit and introduce Avery to a little splishing and splashing of her own.


She enjoyed it for several minutes until the stampede of preschoolers on a field trip came rushing through the park, armed with ginormous water pistols and mischievous laughter--on a mission to drench anyone in sight. It didn't take her long to figure out she needed to get the heck out of Dodge. Instead, she found contentment under a little shade tree where she enjoyed munching on crackers, sipping some good 'ol H2O, and rifling through Mommy's wallet.


At one point, I actually glanced back at her only to find she had pulled two $20 bills out of my wallet and began tossing them about. It's a good thing it wasn't windy out (or that I didn't have any more cash than that), or I'm sure there would have been a couple of lucky kids (and parents) awfully glad they came to the park today! Once I spoiled her fun, she decided that sitting still just wasn't her thing anymore. Rather, she wanted to run around like the big kids and there wasn't much stopping her. I had to rescue her a few times, but she did pretty well overall.


Meanwhile, Wyatt stayed busy jumping off waterfalls and rescuing other kids' Spiderman figures from drowning. Always looking out for Spidey, that one.



It's plainly obvious when Wyatt starts to get bored because his energy usually shifts from innocent play to devious antics--like trying to get a rise out of Mommy by wandering out of her sight. This is usually my cue to pack it up and head to the car, as things usually progress into a downward spiral quite rapidly. Fortunately, we made it out with nary a power struggle or tantrum to be had. It was a pretty good morning, I'd say.










Last summer at the water park
It's amazing how much these little critters grow in 12 short months!






1 Comments:
Blogger Carmen had this to say:

Look at Avery toddling around. She looks adorable. Looks like they had lots of fun. Happy Birthday, by the way! :)

July 10, 2008 at 6:55 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771