Turning Over A New Leaf
Saturday, July 19, 2008

A word of caution for all of my girlfriends: If you ever plan to gift me with a beautiful floral arrangement for which I'm expected to maintain life, please do not take it personally if within a few weeks, it looks like this.

For the past several weeks this floral carcass has graced the
entrance to our front door.
Pretty inviting...don't you think?

What can I say...I'm horticulturally challenged. It's just one of those things I'd love to be better at, but haven't quite made it a priority. Needless to say, we have absolutely no plants or flowers inside or outside of our house (that aren't self-sustainable), unless you count the occasional bouquet of flowers I pick up from the grocery store. But they're supposed to die, so I guess that really doesn't qualify.

Anyhow, I was thrilled when Shelly gifted me with such a beautiful arrangement--although I must admit, the thought of returning it for the plant's sake did cross my mind. But I was so moved by her sweet gesture that I was more determined than ever to give it the proper shot at life it so deserved. Yeah...that lasted, oh...two weeks. To my credit, I did remember to water it a few times. But once we left town for a week, that pretty much sealed the deal. It had absolutely no chance of survival.

Even though the plant didn't make it, I wasn't quite ready to let go of the sentiment behind it. So, I put it through even more hell by letting it bake in the hot sun for a few weeks and serve as a nice home for several spider families in the neighborhood.

Today, I finally had enough. I put the poor plant out of its misery and brought new life to my Shelly bouquet.


I promise...this one is going to stick around for a while. FAMOUS.LAST.WORDS!!



Wine Selection:
Hayman Hill Merlot
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: I think I had higher expectations of this wine. The first few sips tasted very strange--a very spicy front followed by a really weak (almost sweet) finish. But after a few sips, it seemed to balance out. Overall, I think it's pretty darn good with just a funky first sip.

Labels:






1 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

I've had 5 hibiscus plants in the front that have been dead a couple of months and 2 of them actually came back to life!

July 21, 2008 at 3:57 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771