A Birthday Wish for a Couple of Oldies But Goodies!
Sunday, August 31, 2008

So...my dear friend Michelle has been having a grand time the past several months heckling all of her "older" friends as they've transitioned into the "wow...you're old!" decade. Now, it's her turn. And if I could be in Tulsa to celebrate with her, I would be right there to personally light every single candle on that birthday cake! But I can't, so I'll just devote some very coveted blog space to her instead.


Michelle and I met during our first year in grad school when, as Graduate Teaching Assistants, we were assigned the same office to share. Oh...you didn't know I was a teacher in my former life? Yeah..for a period of time I taught college students how to be pro bowlers. You think I'm kidding, but I have the glow-in-the-dark bowling ball, fancy shoes, hand towel, and goofy wrist brace to prove it.


Don't ask me what I'm doing in this picture,
but I'm very happy to be with my bowling ball, that's for sure!


I eventually graduated to teaching Intermediate Tennis, and I am so very thankful I was dating Eric at the time so he could at least teach me the rules of the game before the first day of "class". After the first year, I think they finally realized I was a lost cause and "promoted" me to Academic Advisor (sounds fancy, right?) to freshmen and sophomores in the department who were attending college primarily to party or get their M.R.S. degree. But hey, I got a nice stipend every year that helped pay for all of the Ramen Noodles in my pantry, so I didn't complain too much.

At any rate, Michelle and I became great friends. We both accepted jobs in Tulsa (not at the local bowling alley, for inquiring minds) and met for lunch or dinner on occasion to catch up on all of the goings-on. And when Eric and I made the decision to move to Oregon for residency, I was thrilled at the opportunity to experience life in the Pacific Northwest but devastated to leave my job managing wellness programs for corporate employees. That was, until I recruited Michelle to take over for me. And to be quite frank, I knew she had the brains to turn it into something truly magnificent...and she did just that.

Separated by nearly 2,000 miles, our friendship seems to grow stronger with each passing year. She has visited us every year since we've lived in Oregon, and has fortuitously "been there" for me during some incredibly trying times. And I certainly don't know of anyone else who would have even haphazardly agreed to audition for "The Amazing Race" with me. Man, we could have won that blessed race! I still can't let it go.

Happy 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29...oh yeah...30th Birthday!!! You asked for it.

While we're on the topic of birthdays and grad school, the Edgar fam was so busy in June that I didn't have the opportunity to wish my favorite, fiery red-head a Happy 30th Birthday.


I met LeighAnn in grad school too. She has since decided to pursue medicine, so this time next year we'll have to refer to her as "doctor" if we want her to return our phone calls. Pah! Although, knowing her like I do, if there is more to accomplish, she'll be the first one in line. By the time she finishes residency, she'll be about 35...perfect age for applying for the Presidency...how convenient! Oh, Lord! Could it be possible? A 2012 face-off between Hillary Clinton and LeighAnn Gooden? Trust me, girl...I'd vote for you! A red-head in The White House would totally dominate!

I hope you had a great birthday and are sailing through your last year of med school. I'm proud of you!

Inaugural OKC Memorial Marathon-2001
(Me, Melanie, LeighAnn, and Michelle)



Wine Selection: Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: Nothing really special about this wine. Fairly boring, I suppose.

Labels:






1 Comments:
Anonymous Michelle had this to say:

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I had an awesome weekend and drank some great wine from the Pacific Northwest to toast my 30's :)

September 4, 2008 at 11:36 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771