Bridge Pedal
Sunday, August 10, 2008

Portland is often recognized for being one of the most bike-friendly places in the country. What I find most impressive is the incredible amount of foresight the city planners must have had in order to establish such a high-functioning system throughout the entire city. I'm always amazed by the volume of men, women, and children I see biking to work or school on a daily basis. It's quite remarkable, really.

Every year cyclists throughout the city get the opportunity to bike over Portland's Willamette River bridges during the annual Bridge Pedal event. About 19,000 cyclists turned out for the event this year, including my two boys. Eric and Wyatt biked 37 miles and crossed 11 Portland bridges this morning, and it only took them 2 hours and 50 minutes.


Avery and I successfully managed to navigate through the sea of cyclists to meet them at a couple of spots along the course.

About 28 miles into the ride--just before crossing one
of my personal favorites, the St. Johns Bridge

Where's Waldo?
The boys are up there somewhere.


At the finish line, with 3 of the 11 bridges in the background:
Hawthorne, Marquam, and Ross Island

According to Eric, the only time Wyatt ever made a peep was to encourage Eric to "GO FASTER!" after slowing down to power up a hill. He's a hard one to please, I'm telling ya.






4 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

That sure sounds like a lot of "work"! Especially hauling a 38 pound toddler on the back of your bike! All I can say is WOW!

August 11, 2008 at 8:53 AM 


Blogger Shelly and Jared had this to say:

Wow! Superdad! I'm not sure which is more impressive, the cycling achievement or that you were able to negotiate through that madness to witness it!

August 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

What an incredible childhood your children get to experience up there in the Pacific Northwest! AWESOME!!! Go Dad. I'm totally impressed.

August 16, 2008 at 11:34 PM 


Anonymous Madge had this to say:

Interesting to know.

November 10, 2008 at 8:29 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771