Cooling Off at the Coast
Monday, August 18, 2008

Portland has been breaking records the past week for the longest stretches of 100 degree heat, and we've been right in the thick of it. The kids and I haven't had much relief (unless you count the random car trips around the neighborhood just to cool off), and the weather reports for this past weekend held even more grim news for those of us in desperate need of a break. So we packed up the kids and headed to the one place in Oregon you can almost always count on to be cold and windy...the coast.

The Oregon coast isn't quite like the ones you've probably seen in movies. You know...with beach babes running around in two-piece suits, basking in the sun for hours, and taking dips in the ocean to cool off. I can say with absolute certainty that I've never been to the Oregon coast without a jacket of some sort, and as for putting more than a pinky toe in the water...forget it!! I remember when my mom came out for a visit last May, armed with only a light jacket. Before she and her husband Dennis left Portland to spend a day at the coast, I supplied them with various fleece jackets, hats, gloves, and ear warmers. She probably thought I was crazy. But later, she told me they needed every single article of clothing they had with them, and probably could have used more! While it is one of the most picturesque places in the country, it's certainly not the place to be if you're looking to be a beach bum...that's what southern California is for!

And this weekend, the coast certainly did not disappoint. When we left Portland at 10 a.m., it was already in the 80's. Once we crossed over the coast range an hour later, temps had dropped into the 60's!! We headed to one of our favorite spots in Pacific City while the rest of the Portland population opted to bump elbows with the masses at Cannon Beach. It was the first time I had ever been thankful for cool temperatures at the coast.

I have been loving the beach more and more lately, and I think it's because the kids love it so much. Hiking is awesome, but it's probably not the funnest activity for the little ones. The beach is the one place where we can all spend the entire day and walk away feeling happy and satisfied. Avery really loves the sand and was perfectly content sitting in one spot while she practiced transferring sand from the shovel to the bucket, which is no easy task for a 13-month old.


She realized very early how challenging it can be to walk in sand (probably why she preferred to sit), but she did manage to crawl wherever she wanted to go.


But occasionally, Mommy was there to give her a helping hand.

On our way to check out the waves

Wyatt, on the other hand, found a sandy hill in which he could practice his log-rolling skills. That pretty much kept him busy for a couple of hours.


That is, until he managed to get a mouthful of sand during one of his very graceful executions.

Can't you just feel his pain?

Needless to say, Wyatt finally decided it was time to take a break from log-rolling, and joined Avery and me on the beach.


Eric ran to the store to pick up a kite (can't go to the coast without a kite) and a little parachute bear for the kids to play with. Wyatt got a little frustrated (okay...a lot frustrated) when the parachute wouldn't stay in the air, so it wasn't too long before we had to put that away and move on to something a little more exciting...like kite flying!

Eric giving Wyatt a little lesson before handing over the reins

You'd think he had done it a million times. What a pro!

Naturally, it didn't take long for Wyatt to lose interest...or maybe it was the fit he threw after the Spiderman kite finally took a dive. Who knows. At any rate, he left the kite-flying duties to Daddy the rest of the afternoon.


For those who might be wondering, Wyatt is still deathly afraid of going anywhere near the waves following the incident in California in which he was pummeled by a sneaker wave. But I certainly don't mind. It's the one healthy fear he has at this point, and quite frankly, it's one less thing I have to worry about. I'm sure he'll outgrow the fear on his own eventually, but I'm perfectly content with him playing as far away from the water as he wishes!

It was certainly a great way to escape the weekend heat in the valley. This morning, it's 63 degrees and raining. Ahhh...I never thought I'd be so excited about such a rare weather occurrence in August!



Wine Selection: Mad Housewife Merlot
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: This is actually a nice wine to sip for blogging. I've tried it before, but my neighbor (who knows how much I love wine) recently gifted me with it after collecting their mail for an entire month this summer. What a sweet gesture!

Labels:






4 Comments:
Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

You guys have the coolest things to do there!

I want to move!

August 19, 2008 at 10:37 AM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

the second picture of Avery reminds me ofa picture of you we have somewhere. You were two or three sitting on the beach. She ralyl favors you!

August 20, 2008 at 6:33 AM 


Blogger Starr had this to say:

Catching up on your blog after being out of town. Just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog and what a great job you do!

August 20, 2008 at 8:58 AM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Great pictures Catrina! I can't wait to visit, although I'm hoping it cools down in Portland before we come!

August 20, 2008 at 10:13 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771