DO NOT DISTURB
Sunday, August 17, 2008

From his first days in the hospital, Wyatt has made it plainly clear how much he despises sleep. However, the sleep situation has improved dramatically over the past 6 months. He's now sleeping through the night about 3 nights out of the week and only waking up once the remaining nights. When he does awaken in the middle of the night, he's usually very quick to let us know--with methods varying from shrill and violent screams to soft and gentle taps on the shoulder after creeping into our bedroom unnoticed. The past week however, he has exhibited some strange waking patterns--very uncharacteristic of our little night owl.

The first oddity surfaced at about 2 a.m. one morning when I awoke on my own, realizing I needed to shut Avery's bedroom door (just in case her brother decided to wake using the "shrill and violent" method). I then decided to peek in on Wyatt, only to realize he was not in his bed (nor the floor, or anywhere else in his room). A little concerned, I walked into the living room to find him standing in the recliner gazing out the window. Sleep walking, perhaps? Not sure. Nevertheless, I scooped him up and took him back to his bed, where he remained the rest of the night. Strange...very strange.

A couple of mornings following the possible sleep-walking incident, I woke up to Miss Predictability babbling away at her usual time. The house was completely still as Avery and I tiptoed through the hallway--careful not to wake her brother (who had managed to sleep all the way through the night). As we stepped into the living room, we happened upon Wyatt sitting ever-so-quietly on the couch (as if not to disturb those who were still snoozing away), thumbing through one of his Thomas books. There is absolutely no telling how long he had been awake. Strange...very, very strange.

But this morning took the cake. At some point during the night, he woke up (with nary a peep to be made) and relocated to the recliner in the living room. Avery and I awoke this morning to find him curled up in a little ball, sawing logs as if he had been there all night.


I'm not sure if I should be concerned about these strange occurrences, or feel somewhat relieved that he's finally learned he no longer needs Mom and Dad to help him get back to sleep, wherever that may be.






1 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Holy Cow! I wouldn't know if I should be nervous or happy about this new behavior! Are you a little scared that he'll just walk out the front door one night???

August 18, 2008 at 8:20 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771