Dreaming the Impossible Dream
Friday, August 29, 2008

By the time this has posted, we will most likely be in the car (kids snoozing soundly...please) on our way to spend one glorious week in central Oregon. I have been so excited about this trip ever since we experienced just a taste of what the area had to offer this past May. Even more exciting is that it's the first vacation in which I've done almost all of the planning. I usually defer all vacation minutia to Eric because he is seriously THE master trip planner in our family (and because I've learned that it doesn't really matter what's on the agenda...he'll manipulate it so that we're doing what he wants anyway, so what's the point). But I have found that being in control of the schedule most certainly has its perks. By the looks of this itinerary, it might just prove to be the best vacation yet.



Day 1: Check in at the hotel. Prop my feet up while Eric and the kids unload the car and get the room organized.

Day 2: Rush to get my morning coffee. After such a hard day's work on Day 1, I'll need that extra caffeine boost. Drive around some of the scenic byways while Eric entertains the kids with stories and snacks.

Day 3: Sleep in until 9:00 a.m. while Eric gathers the kids in the early morning (mindful not to disturb Sleeping Beauty) and takes them fishing.

Day 4: Rush (again) to get my morning coffee, as Day 3 might just prove to be the roughest day yet. Eric and I enjoy 5 hours of uninterrupted conversation (or silence) while we kayak on the lake and enjoy a nice candlelit dinner at the resort. We relieve the nanny just in time to put the kids to bed for the night.

Day 5: Eric and the kids go hiking while I get a massage and read the book I've been trying to finish for the past three months.

Day 6: The stress from all of the hustle and bustle of vacationing suggests that another massage is in order.

Day 7: Too exhausted from the trip to share in the driving, I take a nap with the kids while Eric gets us home in one piece.

What...I see nothing wrong with this. In fact, it's beautiful...simply beautiful. That's what he gets for letting me be in charge.



Wine Selection
: Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnay
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: Nothing really special about this wine. Fairly boring, I suppose.






4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Let's be realistic...
Day 1 Wyatt will drop your bag in the parking lot exposing all your undergarments to the world.
Day 2 You'll burn yourself with the coffee and get carsick on the scenic drive
Day 3 You'll be ripped from your sleep at 7:15 when they come home and Eric has hooked himself in the hand with a fishing lure.
Day 4 Eric will tip you out of the kayak, well...because he is Eric.
Day 5 You'll have an allergic reaction to the massage oil and get no further along in your book.
Day 6 You will spend relaxing as you cake on the itch cream from the reaction to the massage.
Day 7 You are so exhausted from your trip you nap in the car...for 5 minutes until the kids start screaming all the way home!

Hope you enjoyed my rare blog appearance. Kevin

August 29, 2008 at 2:54 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

Sounds a like a dream come true, sis!! Happy vacationing and good luck!! :)

August 29, 2008 at 3:18 PM 


Anonymous Ashley L. had this to say:

Aww, that is so cute Queen Catrina! I hope it happens for you. Please tell me your secret!

August 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

You can plan my next trip....preferably sans kids! :)

Enjoy your vacation! I hope you get at least a few minutes of relaxation time.

August 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771