Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner.
Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ah, yes...the most memorable quote from one of the best chick flicks of the 80's, Dirty Dancing. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that at least 90% of you recognized the quote and identified its source within ten seconds of reading the title. I remember watching this movie on the big screen when it was released in 1987 and hoping that I'd someday find my own Patrick Swayze who would sweep me off my feet and serenade me with beautiful melodies like "She's Like the Wind." I WAS NINE! Geez. I bought the entire soundtrack. I learned the dance routines (and performed them in front of the mirror). And naturally, I could recite the entire dialogue from the movie word for word.


So when Eric suggested we watch it this weekend, I was thrilled...and a little bit puzzled. Why on earth (and on his 30th birthday no less) would he want to painfully sit through such a corny love story about dancing? Then he clarified:

"Well, I want to spend time with you. If we don't watch a movie you want to see, then you'll just fall asleep."

He knows me too well.

In case you're wondering, we did actually do more to celebrate Eric's birthday than watch an 80's chick flick. We recently enrolled Wyatt in a drop-off program two hours per week, and as part of our membership, we get to enjoy a complimentary night out each month without the kids. HE-LLO! It was the first time Avery had ever been left alone in such an environment, but she did alright.

We were actually able to enjoy a nice meal in peace at Manzana while overlooking Lake Oswego. In fact, we had the most melt-in-your-mouth, pecan-crusted salmon either of us had ever tasted! It's definitely worth checking out if you're ever in the area.

When we walked in to pick up the kids after a couple of hours, we found it incredibly amusing that someone else's big brother was playing with and comforting Avery while her own just left her to fend for herself while he played with Lightning McQueen all evening. Typical.


With so much going on Friday night, we waited until Saturday to celebrate with chocolate chip applesauce cake (Eric's favorite). Notice who decided to "crash" the party. With a visit from Lightning McQueen, Chick Hicks (and his mean tricks), and The King, we were graced with such an extraordinary rendition of Happy Birthday--and in four-part harmony no less!! Unfortunately, Avery had already gone to bed by the time we finally got around to cutting into the cake, but Wyatt was more than happy to eat her portion!

Happy Birthday To the World's Greatest Dad and Husband!






2 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Happy 30th Birthday, Eric!!!

August 11, 2008 at 8:45 AM 


Blogger Grandma had this to say:

Happy Birthday Eric!

August 16, 2008 at 1:58 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771