Paradise Park
Monday, August 25, 2008

Daddy, I want to go to the park.

You have to very careful what you wish for in our house, especially if Daddy is involved--a concept Wyatt and Avery have yet to grasp.

You want to go to the park, eh? I'll take you to one of the most beautiful parks you've ever seen.

The catch? The only way to get there is by hiking 5 miles through very difficult terrain, up and down canyons, and even crossing a river on foot. And that's just one way!

One thing is for sure...Eric turns just about every adventure into an epic journey (his personal motto). And for some strange reason, I keep letting him talk me into doing hikes with the kids that are becoming increasingly more difficult. "This is the last time!", I always proclaim--only to find myself in the midst of an even more challenging adventure shortly thereafter. But seriously...this time, I really, REALLY mean it.

We hiked the Paradise Park trail on Mt. Hood yesterday, and it was the longest hike we've done thus far with the kiddos--a grand total of 10 miles. It really was an awesome trail (with spectacular wildflowers), and the kids did amazingly well (much better than I could have ever expected), and it was one of the best workouts I've had in quite a while (my legs are definitely talking to me today). But 10 miles? That's asking an awful lot of two very small children, and even though they did exceptionally well, I'd never ask that of them again--at least not for a couple of more years. I just hope they weren't too disappointed to find that "the park" we worked so hard to get to, was void of slides, swings, and every other apparatus they generally associate with a park. Nevertheless, they managed to keep themselves entertained while running amidst the abundant wildflowers.

Playing "chase" (with Mt. Hood in the background)


Navigating through wildflowers


Playing in a creek (with Mt. Hood in the background)

We played in Paradise Park for a couple of hours before starting the 5-mile trek back to the car. We usually make good time on the downhill with Wyatt out of the backpack since he loves to play "chase", even when no one is actually chasing him. We are just always hopeful that he doesn't get tripped up by the dreaded "trail monster", usually disguised as a tree root, rock, or hole of some sort. Wyatt amazingly outsmarted said monster on this trip--a pretty miraculous endeavor, to say the least.


Wyatt and me on the trail--tiny specks in a really big forest.


What can I say...we like pacifiers in our family.


Wine Selection: Crane Lake Merlot
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: An okay wine for sipping. It has a really fruity flavor, if that excites you.

Labels:






2 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Those pictures are so beautiful! They are both getting so big! Avery's pony tail is super cute

August 25, 2008 at 8:31 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

That first picture reminds me of the sound of music. Looks like you guys had a blast!

August 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771