First Day of "School"
Monday, September 8, 2008

Well, some may call it school. But when we're talking about 2 hours per week for a one and three-year-old, it's more like "zen time" for Mama (let's be real, here). Two solid hours to let my hair start to re-grow after having pulled it out the previous week. Two hours to simply do as I please--read a book, sip some coffee, run an errand, run a mile, or just stare off into space. It's only 2 hours, but a very precious and much deserved 2 hours nonetheless--just enough time to re-group for the week ahead. Perfect.

Progress report for the first day:

Wyatt miraculously sat still long enough to craft the most beautiful, and lest we say "creative", apple tree that has ever adorned our refrigerator. Way to think outside the box, Wyatt! That's my boy.

Apparently, he shed a few tears when his teacher admonished him for running in the classroom. For a kid whose motto is "FULL SPEED AHEAD!", it was sort of a tough pill for him to swallow. But he managed. Way to go, kiddo.

Avery also participated in arts and crafts on her first day detached from Mommy's hip.

Upon close inspection, you'll notice the very sparse (but ever-so-thought-provoking) splashes of color on her canvas. What may not be as obvious are the tears that soaked this poor little naked paper doll from head to toe. Seriously, if tears were made of color, I'm certain this would be one of most phenomenal masterpieces ever created by a 14-month old!

Let's just say it might just take Avery a little time to adjust to a new environment without her mommy. She did alright for her first day though. I was proud of how she kept herself together (for the most part) while I was away. But boy, when she first laid eyes on me, she turned to absolute mush--for a couple of minutes at least, and then she was ready to play again.

What I didn't realize when I signed up for 2 hours of free time was that we would already be bombarded with homework. What the heck is this all about? The kid is three and has "homework" already?!?! But I suppose creating a family collage isn't too intimidating...and it doesn't hurt that I can call and collaborate with Shelley. What pictures are you using? What kind of glue did you buy? You get the idea, I'm sure. I thought preschool was supposed to be good practice for the child, but I think it might just be the other way around in our case.


Wine Selection: Fetzer Merlot
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: It's been a while since I've tried this wine, and my opinion remains the same. This is just a very nice wine to sip without food. It's very easy to drink--seems to be smooth with a lot of flavor. And very affordable, which is always a plus.

Labels:






1 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I'm with you on the homework...I was so in shock that we were getting homework that I wasn't really paying attention to our assignment! haha! BTW, what kind of glue are you buying? Just kidding! ;)

September 8, 2008 at 5:33 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771