Kayaking 101
Tuesday, September 9, 2008

While on vacation last week, we spent a couple of nights in a cabin on Elk Lake. The resort was pretty much deserted following the long summer run, but we certainly didn't mind (we're not much for bumping elbows with the masses). One of our primary reasons for staying at the resort was to take advantage of the kayaking. Even though it's something we've always wanted to do, neither of us had ever had the opportunity.

Wyatt must have overheard some of our conversations (and sensed our excitement), because from the moment we arrived he kept insisting that we "go to the kayak...let's go to the kayak". At that point, we could have sat him in front of a rock and said, "there's your kayak, buddy" and he would have been thrilled to pieces. Once he actually laid eyes on the kayak and realized it was a type of boat, he was utterly beside himself and quickly demanded that he go for a ride.


We should have known that just sitting in the kayak on the shore wasn't going to cut it. He wanted the real deal. Being the novices we were, Eric took one for a test ride to get a feel for it before taking Wyatt on a short little cruise.


When the time finally came for Eric and I to ditch the kiddos for our kayaking date on the lake, I wasn't sure what I was most anxious about--the possibility of tipping over in the frigid lake waters or the fact that we had a total stranger looking after our kids. It was the first time we had ever relied upon a nanny service for childcare. But after meeting the girl and seeing how she interacted with them, I felt much more at ease--leaving me to think about other, more important matters...like tipping over in the frigid lake waters.

I'm pleased to report that in the 4 hours it took us to explore every nook and cranny of the lake, we not only remained upright, but we nearly reached mach speed a couple of times as we glided so effortlessly across the water. That's what I call teamwork! If the truth be known, Eric was the muscle behind the operation. But hey, I steered. If not for me, all of that muscle would have had us just going around in circles. So there.

It was truly an awesome experience topped off with a lovely bottle of wine and some good old fashioned conversation--something we don't get nearly enough of these days. I'll be ordering up another one of those dates again really soon, that's for sure.


Wine Selection: Genesis Merlot
Personal Rating:****Excellent****
Comments: This wine is fairly complex, but all of the flavors just seem to be really well-balanced to me. The tannins are definitely there, but not too overpowering.






4 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Elk Lake looks absolutely amazing. I'm sure I went there as a kid but, you just don't appreciate beauty at that age! How fun for Wyatt to get a ride in the kayak!

September 10, 2008 at 8:45 AM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

That looks like a lot of fun. I will have to show this post to Tom. He has been talking about getting a kayak for the past few months. Can we just come tagalong to everything you do? :)

September 10, 2008 at 10:15 AM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Uhm...yes. I will take two vacations and a couple bottles of wine to go please.

How DO you find the time!?

I am jealous.

September 10, 2008 at 2:02 PM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

This comment has been removed by the author.

September 10, 2008 at 2:02 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771