My New Number One!
Monday, September 8, 2008

Earlier in the summer, I came out with my Top 5 Oregon Hikes. Three months (and what seems like a gazillion hikes) later, my list of favorites has changed dramatically. Most interestingly, the ever-so-coveted top spot now has a new occupant. No longer is Cascade Head the big Numero Uno! That glorious title now goes to the Green Lakes Trail just west of Bend, Oregon.

Of the Three Sisters mountains,
this is a view of South Sister from the trail.


To me, this trail had everything a hiker could want: diversity in landscape, challenging mileage (nearly 10 miles), and manageable terrain. I know I said I'd never do it again, but I always say that. Besides, it wasn't 10 miles (like the Paradise Park trail)...it was nearly 10 miles. That makes a big difference. And this trail was much less difficult to complete, making it actually enjoyable...for everyone!

About 4 miles into the hike, we encountered a nice young couple who
actually asked to take our family picture. How sweet!
It's probably the only one of the 6-day trip.

There is no way I'd ever forget this trail and the absolute magnificence in which it beholds. I hope to have the opportunity to hike it again someday.

Fall Creek

For anyone interested, here my revised Top 5:
1. Green Lakes Trail, Central Oregon.
2. Eagle Creek Trail, Columbia River Gorge.
3. Cascade Head Trail, Oregon Coast.
4. Dog Mountain Trail, Columbia River Gorge.
5. Larch Mountain Trail, Columbia River Gorge.



Wine Selection: Fetzer Merlot
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: It's been a while since I've tried this wine, and my opinion remains the same. This is just a very nice wine to sip without food. It's very easy to drink--seems to be smooth with a lot of flavor. And very affordable, which is always a plus.

Labels:






2 Comments:
Blogger Carmen had this to say:

Such beautiful country you have as a playground. Love these pictures!!

September 9, 2008 at 6:43 AM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Love the pictures. Oregon is such a diverse state, it's amazing! We had a really great time visiting and I'm so glad we were able to meet up. We will definitely be back sometime!

September 9, 2008 at 12:01 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771