Sooners in Seattle
Monday, September 15, 2008

Ahhh....college football. I absolutely love it. Not just because the Sooners always seem to be on top (which they are...whoot! whoot!), but it truly is the one sport I can follow all season long. I'm not required to actively seek out a programming schedule to find out which teams are playing on any given day of the week, as with other sports like baseball and basketball. Nope. College football offers just the kind of predictability I need. I know weeks in advance that every Saturday of the season will be spent with my rear planted on the couch flipping from game to game (well, Eric will probably be doing most of the sitting and flipping while I'm calling out for instant replays from the kitchen as I prepare peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the starving and needy children of the house. But hey, it was a nice thought.), and watching top-ranked teams falter as they're defeated by an underdog team in a last-second Hail Mary. Man, there's nothing else like it!

It's been quite a while (at least 4 years) since Eric and I have been to an OU football game, so we were ecstatic to learn that the Sooners would be playing Washington at Husky Stadium--and on our 5th wedding anniversary no less! There was no question we'd be making the 3-hour drive to Seattle to watch our team.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Seattle? If it weren't for the traffic, I'd want to move there in a heartbeat. I mean, how amazing is it to be at a college football game surrounded by beautiful Lake Washington with a perfect view of Mt. Rainier?!?! Truly unbelievable.

View from our stadium seats
I love the "parking lot of boats" on the lake.
It's one way to get to the game,that's for sure!

Mt. Rainier in the top right (click to enlarge)

Since the game was essentially a blow-out at half-time, we decided to make better use of our time without the kids and headed straight to a local sports bar to watch the rest of our game (as well as other, more exciting games) while enjoying a couple of brewskies.

It's at the sports bar where we met a 50-year-old fisherman by the name of Mike. He was about three sheets to the wind when we first made his acquaintance. He had consumed about 4 beers on an empty stomach while waiting for his food to arrive. "Wow!", I whispered naively to Eric as I expressed some concern about how long it might take for us to get our food. He responded kindly and quite reassuringly, "I have a feeling he drinks beer fast."

At any rate, we learned quite a bit about Mike. He's a die-hard Packers fan. Married 11 years with two kids. Lived in Alaska for 10 years, now Tacoma for nine. He even landed a role in Discovery Channel's latest documentary, The Deadliest Catch (or so he claims). When we told him it was our 5th wedding anniversary, he gayly offered his drunken, somewhat slurred (and unsolicted) advice to maintaining a happy marriage. "It's all about communication...and laughter" he proclaimed as he forcefully slammed his beer bottle on our table. "You keep doing those two things, and you'll be alright."

Sure. He was a little inebriated. A litte bit annoying. But for some strange reason, it was a pleasure to meet his acquaintance. I certainly didn't find it simply a coincidence that I sat myself at a table right next to him while Eric was parking the car. In his drunken and somewhat lonely stupor, I'm glad we were able to offer the guy a little conversation without judgement. And to be quite honest, as I sat there with Eric pondering the very reasons for the success in our own marriage (during commercials, of course), I somehow couldn't help but wholeheartedly concur with the drunken man's recipe for marital contentment. His food finally arrived (although not before yelling expletives at the cooking staff). We shook hands with the fisherman who made us laugh and bid him farewell. Incredibly, this world is filled with some very unique and interesting people. I find it unfortuanate that I will only have the oppportunity to know only a small (very small) percentage.

I couldn't have asked for a better way to celebrate 5 years of marriage. The Sooners won. We had great conversation (between the two, and sometimes, three of us). We laughed. A lot. Surely (fingers crossed) this will get us through at least one more year. Ya think?

Sooner family departing from Portland
Next stop: Seattle



Wine Selection: Pinot-licious Pinot Noir
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: I bought this bottle of wine yesterday during a girl's afternoon with Shelley. We shared a glass, and I thought this might just be the pinot noir I've been searching for, so I bought a bottle. Sadly, I'm disappointed (yet again). I lost the cork upon opening the bottle. It's now floating in the bottle and allowing small particles to disentigrate into the undrunken portion. Someone once told me that a little cork adds character to the wine. I hope they were right.

Labels: ,






2 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Love the picture of you and Eric at the game!!! That is too bad about the Pinot...maybe I won't be saving my bottle for a special occasion! haha!

September 15, 2008 at 10:23 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

That view is beautiful! Your hair is really getting long!

September 16, 2008 at 11:04 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771