Small World
Monday, October 20, 2008


Eric and I had a very rare opportunity last week to escape the kids for an afternoon to enjoy some wine tasting in the Dundee Hills. The weather was gorgeous, which meant the views would be great. So, I was giddy with excitement as we left the kids in the trusted care of their grandparents. Our first stop was White Rose Winery, one of my favorites from a previous wine tasting trip.

As we were just about to finish our tasting, an older couple walked through the door. As they started their own tasting, the man had casually asked us where we drove in from, and we told them. When we asked the same of them, they replied, "Oh, we just got off the plane from Oklahoma." We found it a bit strange that the first people we would encounter on such a rare outing for us anyway would be a couple from our home state. But what we found most bizarre was that they weren't only from the Tulsa area, but from the same small town in which I grew up...good old Prattville, Oklahoma. Now that's bizarre, don't you think?

Scratching our heads from amusement, we wished the Oklahoma couple well and proceeded to the next winery on our list, Erath. As we pulled into the parking space, I noticed that the SUV we parked next to was adorned with an OSU Alumni sticker--not OSU as in the other orange and black university in Oregon, but Oklahoma State University--my alma mater! Craziness, I tell you. Of course, I tried to seek out my fellow okies, but my attempts proved futile. Oh well...on to the next winery, Bella Vida.

Apparently, great minds think alike because our OSU friends just happened to be there as well. Talk about coincidence. But I was fortunately able to seek them out this time, as the Oklahoma accent is pretty much a dead giveaway. Needless to say, it was one of those experiences that leaves you shaking your head and uttering, "Man, it is such a small world."

Our last stop was Maresh Red Barn. While we didn't meet any other folks from Oklahoma, we did meet a nice little family with a two-year-old daughter named Vanessa. The second we walked in the door, I was greeted with one of the most exciting two-year-old hugs you've ever had the pleasure of receiving. You know, the ones in which they're running toward you at lightning speed with arms stretched wide. I wish I could say that I had at least met her on at least one other occassion, but she's just very friendly apparently. She even trusted me enough to hold her purple hephalump, to which Eric curioulsy mumbled under his breath, "What the heck is a hephalump?" Sheesh. Don't men know anything?

After tasting some great wines and meeting some great people, we were afforded the additional luxury of actually enjoying dinner and conversation without interruption. Moments after being seated at our table, I glanced out the window only to see that lovely little family we met at Maresh an hour or so before, enjoying their dinner at the same restaurant out on the patio--a mere 30 miles from the place we had met them. Yeah...it's safe to say that we were starting to get a little creeped out at this point.

But anyway, it is tradition with most Asian cuisine to receive fortune cookies at the end of a meal. Eric and I had just finished a conversation about some of the struggles he has been dealing with at work the past few days. Without going into detail, I did my best to remind him of how he truly shines as a leader in such situations, and that he was selected to be Chief for a reason--all of which he already knew, but it's nice to have someone you know and love provide you with reassurance every once in a while. At any rate, the fortune cookies come along and I popped mine open immediately, eager to read the fortune. "You will inherit money and jewelry", it read. ROCK ON!!! This is my lucky day, I thought.

Because Eric doesn't have a sweet tooth and thinks that fortune cookies are nothing but BS, I took the liberty of reading his fortune for him. Interestingly his fortune read, "Your leadership talents bring you an incredible opportunity." I found it plainly obvious that the Lord was speaking to us through fortune cookies, while Eric chuckled and dismissed them--tossing his fortune on the table as he walked away. But as usual, the crazed lunatic came out in me, and now both of those fortunes are firmly affixed to our refrigerator. Hey, he knew I was loony before he married me. Now I'm just wondering if my $$$ and jewels will be arriving via UPS or US Mail.

Don't you think it's so weird when things like this happen to you? Do you think it's merely a coincidence? I personally don't believe in coincidences, which means I spend an insane amount of time trying to determine the significance of such events, fully aware that it may never be revealed to me.



Wine Selection: Les Jamelles Pinot Noir
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: Wow! I think this is the first Pinot Noir that I can say I actually like. I thought I'd be a bit premature by giving it 4 stars so early in our courtship :-), but it definitely has the potential. Shelley, I can't wait to hear your opinion! (Shelley and I usually have such opposite tastes.)

Labels:






7 Comments:
Anonymous Whitney had this to say:

Catrina! It's Whitney English (now Kolb). I was at Erath just a couple of weeks ago during a business trip to Portland. I have a bottle of their estate vintage sitting at home waiting on me now!

You should jump on facebook. Erin Grizzle told me about your blog, and I looked you up and added you to my bloglines...

Love you, take care!

October 20, 2008 at 6:16 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

I am a firm believer in the whole "the Lord works in mysterious ways" concept. Sounds to me like Eric's fortune was much more than a silly coincidence.... personally, I'd take it as a clear sign that He really is looking out for you. Oh, and let me know if your riches show up on your front porch!

October 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Wow-those were some interesting coincedences. That's great you two could get away and enjoy an afternoon without the kids. Sounds like a great time!

October 21, 2008 at 8:43 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I really think those so-called "coincidences" are a sign that you don't need to move back to Oklahoma...you can stay right here in Oregon and Oklahoma will come to you! haha! :)

October 21, 2008 at 9:29 AM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Good point, Shel. You just keep trying to work your magic. Whit, thanks for stopping by. I guess you're going to try and get me sucked in to Facebook, huh? Looking forward to catching up. It looks like I need to be filled in on quite a bit...Mrs. Kolb!

October 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM 


Anonymous Michelle had this to say:

UGGH! I'm so jealous! Your post brought back memories of our wine-tasting adventure at some of those same vineyards. The wine from Maresh was one of my favorites that I brought back to Oklahoma.

October 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM 


Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

So have you been blessed with an abundant amount of money or shiny jewels yet? If so, please remember your dear ol' journalism buddy from CPHS...although they are foggy, distant memories now, you know you remember!!!!! (smiling yet)?

November 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771