Celebrating Victories
Thursday, November 6, 2008

Wyatt is an immensely strong-willed child that fears nothing or no one, and there's nothing that frustrates a mother to the core of her being more than the feeling of not being in control, or worse, feeling controlled by her three-year-old child. I struggle on a daily basis to stay at least a half-step ahead of him (not kidding)--and that's after lying awake the previous night strategizing my next move. As challenging as it is to parent a highly spirited child, it has taught me a lot, and I've learned many lessons along my short, three-year journey, including this one:

CELEBRATE EVERY VICTORY!

Today, Wyatt was actually the most well-behaved he's been in quite some time. I didn't fight him to eat his breakfast, wasn't forced to chase him around the house to put his clothes on, or put him in the time-out corner. He hopped in his car seat with only a minor protest, held my hand in the parking lot on the way to music class, and followed every single instruction I gave him while we were away. These are the times in which I feel incredibly proud and victorious, even though I had absolutely nothing to do with which side of the bed he decided to crawl out of this morning. But nevertheless, I've learned to celebrate even the smallest victories.

But before his nap today, I was forced to chase him down to change his diaper. We do this several times a day anyway, so it's one of his games that I'm quite accustomed to playing. When I finally cornered him and he had nowhere else to go, he covered his head and (clearly not frightened) pleaded in a voice most desperately convincing, "Mommy, please don't beat me!"

Now, before you start to feel sorry for the poor lad, please know that this is just his latest strategy for gaining control of a situation. He's a clever dude, I tell you. I call it his Pity Strategy. Of course, I couldn't help but burst into laughter when he said it, because the child has never been beaten in his life!! But I also couldn't help but think that maybe, just maybe, he's a little more fearful of his mama than I once thought. Is it wrong to rejoice in such a discovery? To realize your child may respect you more than he's made apparent? According to one of the lessons I've learned and already shared in this post, not in the least! Celebrating small victories is what I do these days, as short-lived as they may be. And having a sense of humor has certainly helped my cause.

Tomorrow is a new day and will likely bring new challenges, but one thing is certain...there is never a dull moment in our house because of our little hurricane. He's WILD! Ferociously, yet adorably, wild.




Wine Selection:
Old Vine Red
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: Although I probably won't buy this wine again, it is a decent wine--very well structured, but just a little too sweet.

Labels:






3 Comments:
Blogger joekat had this to say:

I love this post! Wyatt is such an amazing guy, I really like being around him and watching him. And being a mother of a boy I am right there with you.

November 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Good thing you weren't in public when he rifled off with "don't beat me!" Can you imagine?? I'm glad I'm not the only one who's constantly fighting with a 3 yr old. I tell ya.... it feels like a losing battle. Thanks for the reminder to celebrate the small stuff.

November 7, 2008 at 8:46 PM 


Anonymous Michelle had this to say:

OMG! My brother did the exact same thing when he was three to my mom while in public! He ran off in the mall and darted into a toy store, backed up into a corner and yelled at the top of his lungs, "Don't beat me, Mommy! Don't beat me, Mommy!" I'm shocked that he is still alive :) I was the good child that day!

November 10, 2008 at 2:16 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771