A Volcano Kind of Day
Monday, November 17, 2008

One of the greatest perks to living in the Pacific Northwest is that there are so many amazing destinations at our fingertips--one of the very reasons it's going to be so difficult to leave this part of the country in 19 months. When we woke up yesterday morning and saw the sunshine, we knew it would be a good day for a drive. "Wyatt, do you want to go see a volcano?" "YES!", he enthusiastically replied (with eyes as large as silver dollars). So, off we went. Destination...Mount St. Helens.

We have visited St. Helens several times, but each visit seems to offer something new and exciting. Eric has been especially motivated lately to engage in some hard-core training, which I'm sure had absolutely nothing to do with his recent purchase of dress slacks one size larger than he had previously been wearing. :-) Nevertheless, he decided he wanted to bike the incredibly steep 7 miles up the mountain.


He started out with an additional 40 lb sack of potatoes (which I thought was insane from the beginning), but as usual, he made the climb appear effortless.

Eric taking in the views of St. Helens while
puffing steadily up the mountain

I was sure to pull the car over every mile or so just in case he was overcome with exhaustion and needed to call it quits (since I was exhausted just watching), but he never gave in to the temptation and we eventually met him at one of the volcano overlooks where we stayed and played for a while.



Avery looking up in admiration at her "Lance Armstrong" daddy. I'm sure she must have been thinking, "Strong work, Dad! Now... can I walk along the wall without holding your hand. Please...pretty please!"

We've learned to take advantage of day trips like this on a clear day because the views of the volcanos are magnificent, and something we don't get to see much of during the rainy season. Here are the kiddos and I posing with St. Helens (on the right) and snowy Mt. Adams (on the distant left) in the background.

In an effort to get Wyatt to focus his attention on the volcanos he was previously so excited to see and off the rocks and dirt in the parking lot (hey, we have that stuff at home), we told him that Mt. Adams (the distant left) was glowing because it was the North Pole, and that Santa and his helpers were working hard making toys for all of the good little girls and boys. You can surely imagine how quickly he came running to check out the action.

It was a great way to spend the afternoon, and we were home just in time to get the kids something to eat and in bed. And just for the record, Eric would be so upset with me if I made a point to mention his expanding waist line but neglected to bring attention to the fact that after only two weeks in his new slacks, he already needs them taken in a size. Strong work, Daddy.


Wine Selection: Bogle Merlot
Rating: ***Good***
Comments: This is a really smooth wine, and very easy to drink without food. It's a bit on the fruity side, but very pleasant. Thanks for the recommendation, Sara!!!

Labels:






2 Comments:
Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

WOW, I get tired riding in the passenger seat going up there! Looks like a fun trip, great trip.

November 17, 2008 at 10:12 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

So where will you be in 19 months? Maybe Fort Worth?

November 19, 2008 at 10:37 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771