Wild Turkeys
Friday, November 28, 2008

Sure. We had turkey at our house on Thanksgiving. We had five of them, actually--all of them wild. Five wild turkeys under one, very small roof. Very impressive. Since we knew no one would believe that we actually had five turkeys at our house for thanksgiving, we have digital proof. Here they are, arranged ever-so-beautifully around the dining table:


Well, 4 out of 5 in one picture isn't bad.
You'll just have to take my word that there was
actually another little gobbler waddling around.

We had our dear friends, The Landfields, over for Thanksgiving dinner. Eric grilled a turkey (just one), made his grandmother's dressing, prepared green bean casserole, and baked a couple of pies. Yes, I contributed. I prepared the most dee-licious twice baked mashed potatoes and homemade mac-n-cheese for the kiddos. And by default, I was the one in charge of logistics and making the place "look pretty." Eric and I love hosting dinners and parties, and I think we do okay with what we have, but it sure will be nice when we are no longer forced to tell our guests to bring their own chairs. Ha!

All of the kids together were (you guessed it) WILD!! At one point three of them managed to wedge themselves into the play tunnel at the same time. I guess it's safe to say that none of these kids suffers from claustrophobia.


Avery and Lacey kept to themselves for the most part, for I'm sure they quite appropriately feared for their lives if they were in the same vicinity as the older three. Interestingly, Avery didn't let all of the excitement distract her from participating in her most beloved activity. Reading.

I'm happy to read to Avery all day. She's such a little cuddle bunny. But there are times I must deny her the pleasure of reading stories. Hey, a mom does need to use the bathroom every once in a while. It's during these moments of engaging in other mommy duties that I've learned it's best to not even make eye contact with her when she starts pleading, because if I do, I'm immediately put under her spell.

"Hey Mom, how 'bout this one? We haven't read this one in like, oh, 8 minutes."
What can I say? I'm a sucker for puppy dog eyes.

Needless to say, Avery and I spent a good portion of our Thankgiving celebration reading about Curious George and all of his really cool tricks.

We had such a wonderful day and were so happy to spend it with such great company.


Wine Selection
: Bad Girl Blanc
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: I think this is a really nice, light wine for your typical non-wine drinker. It's surprisingly not too sweet, but it's really sort of sour (as in lemon)--something I haven't really experienced before when drinking whites. This is the wine I gave away in July to a Sipping Chardonnay reader. Fortuitously, that bottle ended up at my house for Thanksgiving. As it turns out, Ashley was saving it for a special occassion, and she decided to share it with me. How sweet!

Labels:






1 Comments:
Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

We had such a great time at your house yesterday! Everything looked great (as usual) and the food was amazing, I had leftovers for dinner tonight! Thanks for having us over.

November 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771