Christmas in Sunriver
Sunday, December 21, 2008

Do you know what it's like to sit on pins and needles for seven straight hours? It's not fun. In fact, today, I can still feel each one of little "pricks"--in every single muscle in my body. Seven hours is how long it took us to drive from Portland to Sunriver (in central Oregon) yesterday (Shelley, I can just picture your jaw dropping to the floor right now). Oregon has been pounded with snow for the last week, making road conditions especially treacherous. I had serious reservations before we even departed our driveway as to whether we were taking too great of a risk, and was ready to call it quits 10 minutes into our trip after we slid on black ice trying to get out of Portland. But as usual, Eric kept his cool as we drove about 30 mph on the interstate and over the Cascade Mountain Range, which would have been utterly impassable without chains on the tires. So, I'm sure you can imagine my horror when we heard some of the chains pop off on one of the tires. Fortunately, Eric was able to rig it up a little so we could continue. Keep in mind, the entire time I'm thinking, "these are signs...we should turn around...we're not meant to go on this trip...THESE ARE SIGNS...what else does God have to do to get our attention?!?!"

Did we turn around? Nope. We kept on truckin'. I had already accepted the fact that our car was going to slide off the mountain, our family never to be seen again. But Eric did an amazing job and never lost his cool, even when I would gasp in horror and brace myself against the dashboard after even the slightest veering out of our lane. I'm sure that had to be incredibly annoying for him, but like many of you reading this who can relate, I couldn't help it.

It took us twice as long as it typically would to make it to Sunriver, but thanks to my hubby, we made in one piece. Oh, and did I mention we had to scramble around at the last minute YESTERDAY MORNING to find a new vacation home? We were notified on Friday that the pipes in the home we orginally rented had frozen!!! Fortunately, we were able to find a new vacation home in Sunriver Resort that completely exceeded our expectations. A huge thank you to Steve and Erin for accomodating us on such short notice. You guys are total lifesavers, and your home is absolutely beautiful. Looking out the window, I can estimate that there is at least a few feet of soft, powdery snow just outside the door.

We are really excited about our Christmas week in Sunriver. We have many fun activities planned and should be posting regularly. For now, I'll leave you with a picture of Wyatt playing in the snow on the deck this morning.


Wine Selection: Liberty School Chardonnay
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****






2 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I've been so worried about you guys...I'm so glad you made it to Sunriver in one piece...even if it took SEVEN hours! Holy cow! We leave on Friday for Bend and I am so nervous/anxious/worried about getting there in one piece, as well. Especially since Chris did not grow up driving in the snow like I did. But, now that I've lived in Portland for 9 years, I don't know that I can drive in it, either! Yikes! We miss you and hope that you have a wonderful Christmas in Sunriver! Can't wait to see you in 2009!!!

December 21, 2008 at 11:41 PM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Wow Catrina...I'm glad you made it safe and sound! I would have been freaking out too. It sounds like you will have a great Christmas there. That's great Eric was able to get so much time off. I'm glad you have access to the internet so we can get updates while you're on your vacation. Stay warm and safe!

December 22, 2008 at 12:59 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771