Clickety Clack, On the Track!
Sunday, December 14, 2008

Wyatt's one and only true obsession is trains. This time last year, we purchased his very first Thomas train, Billy. I would've never guessed that only a year later, his collection would expand to include nearly every single Thomas character. Eric and I have since become professional track-builders and storytellers. Wyatt lives and breathes trains (to the point that just stepping foot on a real-life train track sends chills up and down his spine), so I'm sure you can imagine the thrill when we told him we were going to ride on a real passenger coach pulled by a real steam engine--one that "wheeshes" steam and everything!

Since our train departed at 4 o'clock, it was still light enough to enjoy the beautiful Portland scenery, but was dark enough by the time we finished that we could enjoy the steam engine decorated in what seemed like a gazillion Christmas lights.

I wish I could share a more exciting picture of Wyatt on the train, but he was fairly content just staring out the window the entire time.

And since Avery was feeling a little under the weather, I brought a handful of books to keep her occupied (until Santa brought her a candy cane). It may have actually been one of the most relaxing outings we've had with our 3 and 1-year-old in quite some time.


For you locals, we splurged and spent the extra money on The Polar Express last year at Mt. Hood Railroad. It was a great time, but I honestly preferred the Holiday Express Train this year at Oaks Park. The train was a true steam engine, and much more decorative (inside and out) than The Polar Express. It's much less expensive, and the best part is that it's in town!! It was a great holiday family activity.


Wine Selection: Acacia Chardonnay
Personal Rating: ***Good***
Comments: I can't believe how many chardonnay's I've had recently. That's the beauty of wine; your pallet seems to readily change, which allows you to enjoy such a wide variety of wines. I love it! Oh, and I got this wine at Whole Foods for under $10.

Labels:






1 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I can't believe that you braved the pouring down rain for a picture of the steam engine! If I would have known, I'd have stolen your picture for my blog. haha! I'm still so sad that we didn't get to sit together. But, maybe it was for the best...Sienna might have ruined your peaceful 40 minute ride!

December 15, 2008 at 9:49 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771