Embracing the New Natural
Saturday, December 6, 2008

Most of my life, I've been a natural blonde. To prove it, I scanned a childhood photo of me--long before I was ever introduced to the beautiful art of professional hair color processing.


It had to be some time during high school when my hair started to darken and the natural curls emerged. I spent many years maintaining my blonde locks through professional highlights (aside from the completely impulsive and irrational experimentation with fuscia in college. Bad idea. Very bad idea.), mostly because that's the color in which I identified with most (blonde...not fuscia).

With pregnancy, my hair became even darker...and darker...and darker. So dark that it became increasingly more difficult to maintain the blonde, and the health of my hair suffered considerably.

(Time out. I just watched the Sooners win the Big 12 Championship game. Whoot! Whoot!)

But today, I told my new stylist that I was ready to embrace the new natural. Oh boy, it's dark. Really, really dark. But I love it. I feel like a weight has been lifted.


Eric hates it (big surprise) and wasn't shy about telling me (another big surprise). But it's quite customary for him to give me the silent treatment for at least two days following any trip to the hair salon. In fact, as I was leaving the house bound for the salon, he pleaded, "please, please don't do anything drastic." He should've known better. And deep down I think he did. :-)



Wine Selection: Liberty School Chardonnay
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****
Comments: Wow! Can you believe I've actually had two chardonnay's back to back? I think that's a record. But I had to compare the Liberty School with the Irony to confirm which one I indeed prefer. Without a doubt....the Liberty School.

Labels:






9 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

I love it! And it looks great straight. That picture of you when you were a kid looks a lot like Avery!

December 7, 2008 at 2:42 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I love the new color!!! I can't wait to see it in person tomorrow. :) What do the kids think of the new hair?

I cut my hair pretty drastically yesterday...you'll have to tell me what you think when you see it. Hopefully I'll like it a bit better after I style it myself!

December 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

I love your hair! I think it is so much fun to experiment with color. I love that you kept the length, it looks so good! Your childhood picture is too cute!

December 7, 2008 at 4:14 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

I love your hair! I think it is so much fun to experiment with color. I love that you kept the length, it looks so good! Your childhood picture is too cute!

December 7, 2008 at 4:14 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 7, 2008 at 4:14 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

Gorgeous!!! I've been thinking of going darker for awhile... but I'm too chicken. You just may have inspired me.

December 7, 2008 at 11:19 PM 


Blogger Carmen had this to say:

I love it! It's almost as dark as mine.

December 8, 2008 at 6:46 AM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Looks great! It looks long and healthy. Cute picture of you as a little girl :)

December 8, 2008 at 11:58 AM 


Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

Oh my gosh Catrina! I love it! It looks so healthy. I love the warmth that she put in it.

It is Beautiful!

(Sorry your hubby doesn't like it.)

December 8, 2008 at 4:01 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771