It's good to be home. Or NOT.
Saturday, December 27, 2008

The drive home yesterday was long, but road conditions were much better than they were last week. When we finally made it over the mountains, I gave Eric a much needed break from driving and got us the rest of the way home--that is, until we tried to get into our neighborhood. We knew that Portland was being pounded with snow while we were gone, but didn't know exactly how much. And since we live in an area of higher elevation, there was really no way of knowing what to expect upon our return. There is only a single street in our neighborhood in which you can access the main roads safely (the others are steep--and I mean steep--hills that are hard enough to climb in normal conditions). We are very thankful for this one safe road in and out of the neighborhood, but it's so narrow that it looks like it was built for golf carts. It definitely is not designed to accommodate the amount of traffic that has been on it the past couple of weeks. I somehow managed to get us past the "skinny" street, but I chickened out once I caught a glimpse of the snow on our little dead end street. Eric...back in the drivers seat.

Needless to say, we were greeted with at least a couple of feet of snow on our street and driveway. Without chains, we were lucky just to get the car at least halfway out of the middle of the street before getting stuck. Then the madness began. I shoveled the driveway while Eric put chains on the tires. Meanwhile, the kids ran wild in the house unsupervised (fortunately, there were no fatalities). Eric finished shoveling while I tried to figure out why our drinking water was brown (I discovered this only after I had used the water to dilute a cup of juice for Wyatt, but again, no fatalities). To make matters worse, rigor mortis had set in on our pitiful Christmas tree, releasing a stench quite indescribable. So, I went to work on putting the poor thing out of its misery (and ours). Once Eric finally managed to get the car in the driveway, loads and loads of luggage from our vacation were being deposited in our entryway that needed sorting. Sheesh! And all I wanted was a drink of water! Too skeptical of the water quality, I began thawing ice cubes just to wet my tongue. Nice.


But we finally managed to get the house in some sort of order before sitting down to open the rest of our Christmas presents. Alas, it was finally bedtime. But dinner! We didn't feed the kids dinner! Shoot. With an empty pantry, what is a tired mom in a pinch to do? Cubes of cheese and spoonfuls of peanut butter for everyone!!

We have not had garbage service in over two weeks and UPS has probably had to rent storage space for all of our packages that have yet to be delivered. But fortunately, I think we've seen the last of the winter storm. But after yesterday, I do think another vacation is in order...and a trip to the grocery store.

But I suppose it could've been worse.








3 Comments:
Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Glad you are home! I know what golf cart street you are talking about and it is tricky without snow!

December 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Sheesh! So...did your pipes freeze? Do you still have brown water? That sounds like you had quite the homecoming! ha! Glad you made it home safely...I can't wait to see you when we get back to town!!!

December 27, 2008 at 10:26 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Oh my gosh. This post just made my day. I love eating peanut butter for dinner!

December 28, 2008 at 10:05 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771