Skating On Thin Ice
Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Since we've been on vacation, Wyatt has been incredibly vocal about what he wants to do. And by golly, the kid wants to ski. Every time we ask him if he wants to go sledding, he says, "No! I want to go skiing!" Trying to convince him that the Edgar blood he has running through his veins prohibits such activities requiring even the slightest bit of patience, has been a challenge indeed. But apparently, we made a little headway because he gave up on that idea for a while before moving on to the ice skating obsession.

I'm fairly confident on ice skates (even though it's been a decade since I've been in a pair), so I agreed to take Wyatt out on the ice for the very first time at the nice little outdoor rink in Sunriver . I started out pushing him from behind, but that didn't last long once he realized it was more fun to let his body go limp and let Mommy do all of the work.

Then we practiced skating solo. When he was willing to go for it, he usually did a great job, which boosted his confidence and provided him with a sense of accomplishment. For a 3-year-old, I think his effort was pretty superb. Who knows...he may just be ready for a set of skis after all.


He eventually tuckered himself out and asked me skate while he rested his head on my shoulder. As we skated to sweet Christmas music, it brought back memories of the beloved "couples skate" at the neighborhood skating rink in my old hometown. But this time, I was less concerned about where to put my hands (and where my partner might be putting his), and more excited about savoring one of the few moments I get to share with my little guy...just the two of us. It was a great day, indeed.






4 Comments:
Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Wow! Wyatt did amazing ice skating! I can't even imagine Brayden STANDING in a pair of ice skates! haha! I absolutely LOVE the picture of you holding Wyatt...so sweet!!! Miss you, but so glad that you are having such a wonderful time!

December 23, 2008 at 4:33 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

Go Wyatt! I can't even ice skate! It looks like you guys are having an amazing vacation. I am glad you are posting! Where was Avery?

December 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

I love the picture of you holding Wyatt - that is precious.

December 23, 2008 at 11:52 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

Looks like you all are having a great vacation! Wyatt looks like a better skater than me!

December 24, 2008 at 11:15 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771