Life After Pigtails
Friday, January 23, 2009

There's just something about a little girl in pigtails that makes my heart skip a beat. I'm not sure if it's the way the tails bounce with every wobbly step, or if it's just that, with all of the hair pulled back from the face, smiles seem bigger. Brighter. Full of life and energy. One little pigtailed girl in particular knows all too well this weakness of mine and will seize every opportunity to play on it when she deems necessary.

Avery is now 19 months old, and just in the last month her personality has really blossomed. She's discovering more of her independence, her ability to vocalize her opinions (and boy, does she have some opinions), and that much more interesting activities lie just beyond the boundaries. It's usually when she's trying to test those boundaries that the beloved pigtails turn into weapons. She's learning, however, that in a battle between pigtails and The Evil Eye, The Evil Eye always wins. That...and counting to three.

When she's not testing the boundaries, she can usually be found rifling through her books. She has committed each and every one of them to memory, so we'll often find her acting out the scenes as she's reading. Sort of like this.



Another favorite past time is playing "kitchen". Here she is playing the part of cauliflower, just about to be steamed (at least that's what I tell her when she fails to get out when I ask her to).


With food as Avery's one and only nemesis (but yet, she likes to play kitchen), it was of no surprise to learn yesterday that she dropped in weight from 40th percentile on the growth chart, to the 15th percentile (wt: 22 lbs, ht: 32.5 in). She essentially has not gained a single pound in 6 months, but has grown 2.5 inches. Needless to say, it makes meal planning kind of tricky when one child requires fatty and fried while the other requires lite and lean. Sigh.

Speaking of "the other" child, Avery absolutely adores her brother, although I can't imagine why. He steals her toys, trips her in mid-stride, and tackles her to the ground the minute Mommy turns her back. Yet the first thing she says when she wakes up for the day or from a nap, is "See Bubba?" I suppose they just have one of those unique love/hate relationships. But occasionally, she gives him a taste of his own medicine by locking her grip on a few of his curly locks--usually requiring Mommy's assistance to pry open the pint-sized fists. It's so hard not to laugh, because really, the kid has it coming to him most of the time.

Sometimes they make her feisty, other times flirty. But overall, life after pigtails has been oodles of fun. Now, when we get to braids, that might be a completely different story. She might be two by then, which means something"terrible". I think we'll just stick to pigtails and just hope for something "terrific".






2 Comments:
Blogger Courtney had this to say:

She is so cute! I can't wait to see her and Wyatt at Evan's party! Does Wyatt eat cauliflour the way he eats broccoli?

January 24, 2009 at 8:34 PM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

I still can't believe that Avery will sit still long enough for you to make her hair look so perfect! And...it never gets messed up! I'm so happy that you finally get to put Avery in pigtails...they are too cute! Maybe you can come over and do Sienna's hair every morning????

I knew Avery was a feather weight compared to Sienna, but that is just crazy that she hasn't gained any weight in 6 months! I'm actually a bit scared to weigh Sienna...she's probably 26 pounds by now!

Hope to see you again before you leave...I'm going to go through serious Catrina withdrawals!!!!

January 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771