"You're NOT fat...
Saturday, January 10, 2009

...You're just BIG-BONED!"

I can't tell you how often I heard this as a child. I would hear it every time I came home from school sulking over how awkward I looked and felt in relation to other kids my age (bless you Mom for always trying to make me feel better). I was always the biggest kid in my class, but as Eric so eloquently put it this morning, "Catrina, you weren't fat. You were just ridiculously malproportioned."

As if looking ridiculous is superior to looking fat. Thanks, my love. You really know how to dish out the compliments.

For those skeptics out there, I present proof of my adolescent beastliness. And you have my permission to laugh until you pee your pants.


On a field trip with my 1st grade class.
Yes, I was 6 years old.

What I find most hilarious (and quite paradoxical to what I was feeling at that age) is a journal entry I had made shortly thereafter. I must have been struggling to accept the idea of being a Giant, and trying to convince myself that it was cool.

(click to enlarge)

At some point during my life, I must have been loved and kissed by a prince; otherwise, I have no explanation for why I've turned into the beautiful princess I am today. Hehe! My life...a real Beauty and the Beast experience.

As luck (and genetics) would have it, I passed this beastly trait to our son. Fortunately (in my eyes), it's not as much of a social death sentence for a boy. Wyatt has always been a big boy, but incredibly muscular...not fat (Or perhaps that's just the contemporary term used to descibe us "big boned" or "husky" folk). But when I took him in for his annual check up (about 3 months late...oops), we got the excellent news that he's nearly off the charts in relation to his BMI (body mass index). He's in the 90th percentile for height (3'4") and 97th percentile for weight (41.8 lbs). Because he is such a muscle machine, his doctor expressed no concern. But don't think for a second that I won't be enrolling this kid in every sport imaginable. If he ain't runnin', he's gonna be blubbin'. I know if it weren't for my own discovery of gymnastics and a love for distance running, I'd be in a very different boat. In fact, I'd quite possibly be a boat!

Avery, on the other hand, struggles daily to exceed her birth weight. She's a tiny little thing (must get that from her dad's side of the family :-)). But perfect gymnast material...2024 Olympic Games, here we come! With her stature, she might actually enjoy and benefit from having a Giant for a big brother--although I'm pretty sure that means she'll be without a boyfriend until college...at the very least.

I don't know about you, but I've never seen a Giant with a smile so sweet and eyes so expressive. No matter how big (sorry..."muscular") he gets, he'll always be my little baby. Love you, Sweet Boy.






6 Comments:
Blogger Sweet Yet Sassy had this to say:

I LOVE those pictures of your son!


The pictures of you? Yes.... I peed my pants. :)

I was short and big boned. at least you were tall. ha ha

January 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM 


Blogger Annie had this to say:

He is soo precious! I can't believe that was you in the photo!!!

January 12, 2009 at 6:06 PM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Wow! Where do I even begin? You have always told me that you had a "athletic" build growing up, but I guess I didn't realize the extent of it! ha! I cannot believe that you were the same age as those girls in the picture! Seriously, you look like you are about 5 grades older than them!

I still absolutely LOVE those pictures of Wyatt...he is just adorable! Not to mention that he looks so sweet and innocent!

January 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

I love the way you write! You are so much fun!

January 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM 


Blogger Laura had this to say:

Great post Catrina...hilarious and well written. That was a great idea to scan your diary pages too. The pictures of Wyatt are great!

January 17, 2009 at 2:12 PM 


Blogger Rachel had this to say:

With our little one on the way, I've been thinking about starting a blog. I was checking yours out and thought it ironic that I would see this post. Girl, if you thought you looked awkward around kids your age growing up, imagine what I looked like! In every picture, the top of my legs come to the chest of everyone else in the picture, even the boys! I'll have to dig some out to send to you.

It is nice to know that someone else had to suffer through a similar awkwardness. We'll see what happens to my children!

January 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771