BREAKING NEWS...My husband actually has a romantic side. Sometimes.
Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day has never been a big celebrated holiday for Eric and me. In fact, the last time we ever attempted anything romantic, we ended up with some very wretched food poisoning.

It was our first Valentine's Day as a married couple (2004), so love was certainly in the air. We lived in a cozy apartment on the 26th floor of a high rise building overlooking the Arkansas River (which may have actually had water in it at the time, now that I think about it). That was the Valentine's Day in which Eric drove me out to watch the sunset over the lake and gifted me with a complete outfit PLUS accessories from my favorite boutique. Blown away at his gesture, I didn't think the evening could get any more romantic. But as we walked through the door of our apartment, I was stunned at the sight of what had to be at least 50 lit candles lining our insanely long entryway. My first thought was , I have married the sweetest man on earth!, which was quickly followed by, Holy crap! Can you say fire hazard?

Apparently, while we were watching the sunset, Eric's parents were transforming our apartment into something out of a romance novel and setting up what was our favorite meal at the time--crab cakes and sushi with a nice sauvignon blanc. Needless to say, after 36 hours of trying to rid ourselves of the poison we ingested during that meal, I have yet to eat a single crab cake or sushi roll, much less celebrate the overly commercialized holiday of love.

This Valentine's Day, I went to a 3-year-old's birthday party and caught up with old friends while Eric spent the one weekend he has off this month taking Step 3 of his board exams. So, not much romance for either of us. In fact, I didn't even speak to Eric on the phone until after the kiddos and I arrived home after a long, but exciting, day in Oklahoma City and discovered that he had sent me flowers.


I know...I didn't believe it either! Since it had been 6 years since he'd ever done such a thing (bringing home a bouquet of flowers strategically placed on the beer aisle after work--while it is a sweet gesture--doesn't quite qualify as romantic), I thought for sure Eric's parents got the flowers for me! :-)

Even though I generally don't get excited about Valentine's Day, it's never really easy to be without the one you love. I have already found myself getting really "home"sick even though we are at home in Oklahoma. I'm sure the kids and I will have such a great time during our last week here, but it sure will be nice to be back in Portland so we can be a family again.


Happy (belated...oops) Valentines Day, Eric! We miss you.






3 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Okay...I know I've already said this...but you are a BEAUTIFUL brunette! Seriously!

February 15, 2009 at 10:19 PM 


Blogger Catrina had this to say:

Thanks, Starr! I'm really liking it too and Eric has actually moved from being completed detested with it to actually complimenting me on it. It might just stick around for a while!

February 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM 


Blogger Courtney had this to say:

I agree! I think the brown hair looks great!

February 16, 2009 at 9:28 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771