Hiking Through the Oneonta Gorge
Sunday, March 22, 2009

Eric and I have both been working overtime lately, which means things like blogging and reading for pleasure sort of get tossed to the wayside. But I hope to get back on track next month, as Eric will be finishing out his last few months of residency with some elective rotations, freeing up more time for all of our "extra curricular" interests and activities.

Yesterday, the nagging northwest rains held out just long enough for us to venture out on our first family hike of (dare I say) the year. It's hard to believe that it's been over 4 months since we've been hiking--that's gotta be a record.

We hiked a short trail around the Oneonta (pronounced own-ee-onta) Gorge. We've hiked this trail before, but it's certainly one that never ceases to amaze. The highlight of this trail is being able to walk behind Ponytail Falls, where you are gifted with a rare opportunity to gaze in complete awe of the incredible force of the falls plunging 80 feet into a small pool of water.

Ponytail Falls

View from behind the falls

Even though the winter rainfall can get a little irritating at times, it's what makes Oregon so beautiful and green all year long. I've mentioned probably a thousand times on this blog how much I love the gorge--not just for the spectacular waterfalls, but the moss. The abundance is quite impressive. It blankets the trees, rocks, canyon walls, and even the old white posts along the historic highway. I think it's one of the most beautiful parts of Oregon.

Wyatt playing the role of Humpty Dumpty on a wall of moss.
(just the sitting part. no great fall. no breaking into a million pieces
...just in case you're wondering.)


Avery riding piggy back
(with a death grip on her paci)

Eric and the kiddos approaching Ponytail Falls
(Mommy still needs to learn how to focus with her new lens. Boo.)



Wine Selection: Layer Cake Shiraz (2008)
Personal Rating: ****Excellent****
Comments: I have been on a shiraz kick lately. This wine is bold, yet still fruity enough to enjoy without food. After trying this last night while on a date with my hubby, I knew I couldn't walk away without a bottle to enjoy at home. Apprarently, this vintage is going like hot cakes (pun intended) because it has been a couple of years since this vineyard has produced a shiraz.

Labels:






3 Comments:
Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

I have been wondering what you have been up to! Nice hike. See you Wednesday!

March 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM 


Blogger Shelly had this to say:

we love that hike as well! Its so great because you can make it as long or short as you want and still be rewarded by waterfall viewings!

March 23, 2009 at 2:31 PM 


Blogger Annie had this to say:

I love it! You guys are sooo beautiful!

March 24, 2009 at 9:03 AM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771