Training Update
Monday, March 9, 2009


Two months from today, I will be running my first half marathon since 2004 and couldn't be happier with the way my training has been going. With 8 weeks remaining, I'm fully prepared and hoping to finish in under 2 hours. And yes...I've been in a constant battle with the drive that lies deep within my being as to whether or not the Portland Marathon will get the opportunity to forever leave its mark on my aging joints. I really want to focus on finishing strong in May before officially committing to the full marathon in October, but I have a sneaking suspicion that my thirst for personal achievement will eventually trump all sane and rational thought. Because anyone willing to voluntarily put their bodies through so much trauma must be insane, right?

Speaking of insanity, people often ask me what I think about or how I pass the time when I'm on the trail. On my 13-mile run yesterday, I thought it might be interesting to jot down a few mental notes for (at the very least) my own personal amusement. But as I occasionally found myself chuckling aloud at the oddities of my thoughts, I couldn't help but wonder if the written translation would provide just as much entertainment--for other runners out there who can completely relate, and for those who (after reading this) will think we're an even crazier breed than previously suspected.

Mile 1: "Dang. It's really cold out here. I knew I should have worn gloves."

Mile 2: "I LOVE this song. I could run forever to this song."

Mile 3: "Yeah...that song? After listening to it three times in a row, I'm so over it. And starting to get bored. Hmm."

Miles 4-6.5: "Slow and steady. Slow and steady. Not even half way yet. Focus."

Mile 6.5: "HALF WAY!! Whoo Hoo! I'm so excited and I just can't hide it (insert little happy dance). Let's kick it into high gear before I get rained on...and get some lunch."

Miles 6.5-7: "Lunch. Oh, sweet lunch. What shall I eat? A greasy burger? A sandwich, maybe? A salad? Heck no! You kidding me? Salad...after 13 miles? Catrina, you must be getting delirious already."

Mile 7: "Forget the gloves. Anyone have a rain jacket?"

Mile 8: "That's it. I'm running The Half and that's it! No more of this running crap. This is stupid. Catrina, you're STUPID. I wonder if Eric will come and get me if I call him. Nah, that's just wishful thinking. You can do it. Focus."

Mile 9: "Hail? HAIL?!?! What the H***!?!? Forget the rain jacket. I need a helmet!"

Mile 10: "Just a 5k left. A measly 5k."

Mile 11: "That song. The one at Mile 2. I need it. Where is it? Oh. Yeah. Nothing can stop me now. Even if I do look to others like I'm running at a snail's pace."

Mile 12: "Nothing can stop me, eh? I'm DYING...trying to stay focused, and (not kidding) someone actually stops me to ask directions!!! For the LOVE of greasy hamburgers!!! Seriously? Can she not see that I'm about to keel over at any moment? She could've at least waited a couple of minutes for the old guy back there walking his poodle!"

Mile 13: "Finish line straight ahead. Focus. Focus. Focus. Put it all out there. Everything you've got. " (With the wise words of my ever-so-compassionate and supportive husband ringing in my ears, "If you don't feel like you have to puke at the finish line, then you didn't push hard enough!") "YES, DRILL SERGEANT!!!"


In the car on the way home: "Wow...what a great run. I can't wait to do it again next week!"

I know it's pathologic. You don't have to tell me. Fortunately, I've learned to surround myself with other deranged runner friends to make me feel somewhat normal.


Wine Selection: Maryhill Winemaker's Red
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: This wine was okay, but I doubt I will ever buy it again. I can't quite put my finger on what it was specifically that turned me off, but I'm starting to think it's the flavor of black currant (or maybe smoke) that I dislike so much. I think it overpowers the wine quite a bit.

Labels: ,






3 Comments:
Blogger Starr had this to say:

Hmmm...I have all those same thoughts! When I'm struggling to finish a walk around the block. :-)

March 10, 2009 at 8:29 AM 


Blogger Shelly had this to say:

LOVE IT!!!

March 10, 2009 at 8:14 PM 


Blogger Alex and Ashley had this to say:

I am so proud of you! I think about running but I really don't feel like it. I like eating my Nilla wafers with whole milk reading about other's accomplishments... Anyhow, you go girl!

March 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771