Picnic in the Park
Thursday, April 9, 2009

I never realized the extent to which the weather could impact a person's mood until I moved to Portland. Seasonal Affective Disorder runs rampant in this part of the country, and while the lack of sunshine hasn't really affected me too much psychologically, I certainly couldn't see myself living here long-term. But it's quite interesting how the overall mood of city changes when the sun comes out to play.

Earlier in the week, Mother Nature gifted us with 3 consecutive and ever-so-glorious days of sunny weather, and people ventured out in droves to bask in it. I must admit, the sounds of lawnmowers humming, neighbors chatting, kids playing, and dogs barking were music to my ears. And the trails were packed with families riding their bikes, runners sporting their shorts and tanks, unicyclists flaunting their "peace not war" paraphernalia (did I mention that Portland is great for people-watching?), and birdwatchers marveling through their binoculars at the family of ospreys playing peek-a-boo from their nest. Although the gloom and doom of winter has since returned, it was so wonderful to indulge in at least a taste of what's to come.

Wyatt and Avery were thrilled to finally play outdoors for an extended period of time. We even packed up some food and spent an evening at a nearby park. It's amazing how much faster the slides are when they're dry. Hehe!






Wine Selection: Casa de Illana tradicion 2006
Personal Rating: **Fair**
Comments: This Spanish wine is soft and fruity without much tannin, but it is flavorful. It was just okay for me. Didn't leave much of an impression.

Labels:






2 Comments:
Blogger Carmen had this to say:

looks like a fun day!!

April 10, 2009 at 2:44 PM 


Blogger Shelley had this to say:

Don't kid yourself...you know you don't ever want to leave me...oops, I mean Portland!!!! ;)

April 10, 2009 at 5:27 PM 


Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page





 



DSC_0014

My Wine Personality:
For the most part I’m a chardonnay, as I consider myself to exhibit a somewhat sunny and mellow disposition (most of the time), but because I find a tremendous amount of joy out of showering my two kids with hugs and kisses, I also possess the subtle sweetness often found in a riesling. But don’t be fooled. I love a great outdoor adventure and am willing to try anything once. This occasional display of boldness is thought to match that of a cabernet, whereas my appreciation for nature suggests that I have an earthy component to my personality—very characteristic of a merlot. (more)

 



“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.”
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1771